PDA

View Full Version : WORD HELP, word wont recognise .doc files and other problems

mitchellman56
10-06-2007, 03:23 AM
hi,

i recently installed the trial of 2007 but that didnt work properly, ( i couldnt type anything) so i went back and installed office 2000 professional. first it started fine, now whenever i started up word or any application the windows installer box keeps popping up, photo below

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sadsog6.jpg

then i tried reinstalling office 2000 and it got even worse , now word cant recognise any files like .doc or anything, photo below.

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/dce17920/asd.jpg :confused: :confused:

PLEASE HELP

SurferJoe46
10-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Beside the fact that I consider Imageshack as bloatware, it will associate files to itself...it creates a toolbar and all....Had a friend had exactly the same trouble with it and her Office 2000 installation.

I personally dropped Office 2000 for the reason that I found it very unstable and OpenOffice is so much more reliable.

If you want Office AND Imageshack..then I guess you'll have to put up with the problems...but I corrected the problem on my freind's puter by clearing out Imageshack and all it's permutations..went to Picassa 2 and installed OpenOffice.

Things have been happy for several years now with that; success breeds contentment.

To this day..and I have tried to make a successful install of Office 2000, I find it won't work..no way..no how..and I can't figure why it is so dastardly...must be an update to XP or something.

My copy of Office 2000 is an original too, so it isn't a hacked or busted version...so somehow it's just broken and I gave up repairing it. I really never looked back.

SurferJoe46
10-06-2007, 04:46 AM
BTW: you might also be the cause of the troubles if you tried to install the trial-ware over the old Office 2000 program. Somehow, M$ hasn't gotten it right about doing this..and you might be the corruptee here too.

I know there are many people happy with Office (x) and although I don't see how or why...if they like it..then SOMEONE'S got it running correctly.

I just don't want to waste time tweaking and adjusting a program that should run right out of the box.

johcar
10-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Not sure what OS you're running, but try going through Windows Explorer: First go to Tools>Folder Options + View tab and unclick the "Hide extensions for known file types option". Never have been able to work out why that is set to off by default. You'll have less issues with 'odd' files if you can see their suffix before you execute them.

Then go to Tools>Folder Options + File Types tab. Click on each Office document type in turn, and click on the <Change> button in the Details section at the bottom of the window. You will be able to browse for the appropriate application if it's not already present. Click <OK>, then <Apply> and move onto the next type. This process will re-associate the file types with the appropriate Office application.

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I just don't want to waste time tweaking and adjusting a program that should run right out of the box.

Agreed.
For word docs, OpenOffice rocks out of the box. :) If you have to tweak an app like that to get it to work then it is not finished and not worth having.

johcar
10-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Agreed.
For word docs, OpenOffice rocks out of the box. :) If you have to tweak an app like that to get it to work then it is not finished and not worth having.That's true - but if you bugger about with trial versions and then go BACK to an older one, it's no wonder things break. Office 2000 is a venerable suite, pretty stable on first install and does pretty much what anyone needs it to do. Open Office is the same - but some people prefer to go with the 'known quantity'.

PS mitchellman56 - welcome to PressF1!! :)

mitchellman56
10-06-2007, 01:23 PM
COOL thanks that worked!!
but now downloading openoffice.
hope thats alot better:cool:

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 01:31 PM
That's true - but if you bugger about with trial versions and then go BACK to an older one, it's no wonder things break. Office 2000 is a venerable suite, pretty stable on first install and does pretty much what anyone needs it to do. Open Office is the same - but some people prefer to go with the 'known quantity'.

PS mitchellman56 - welcome to PressF1!! :)

True, although I am using the latest version for general stuff. I have used both Mac and PC versions for about 3 years. The PPC Mac version was a bit sluggish compared to the Windows version.

Billy T
10-06-2007, 01:50 PM
I've used Office 2000 on a daily basis since, well, 2000 I guess, and it has been as stable and solid as a rock.

If you had problems with it SJ I'd be inclined to look toward your platform or practices before I blamed the Office Suite.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SurferJoe46
10-06-2007, 05:33 PM
I've used Office 2000 on a daily basis since, well, 2000 I guess, and it has been as stable and solid as a rock.

If you had problems with it SJ I'd be inclined to look toward your platform or practices before I blamed the Office Suite.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy..I'm just grasping at straws here, but aren't you the same person who says they don't get updates and service packs from M$?

If I'm wrong..sorry..but I think that Office 2000 is pure junk and cannot live with all the updates. :2cents:

I had it for a few years, and then..even with fresh installs, the wheels fell off constantly..and not just on my stuff..but other's too. Something poisoned the water for it.

Just a point here: not every install of XP-Pro will accept things that other installs seem to have no problem with...I've seen that a lot of times and if you think about it, you have too.

It ran well enough, but after I got SP-2 and some of the hotfixes, I discovered that Office kept this silly communication going:

"Office cannot fire this event"...

........and every time I tried a new clean install of Office 2000, it flopped and died. I also burn the whole OPSYS down every year..and often when I experience things that go bump in my system. I always believe that a fresh install is a better running system.

I dumped Office 2000, went to Open office and have not regretted it once.

I even tried Corel Word Perfect too..but it is a lost cause for me...it's just too sophisticated...or complicated is a better word.

johcar
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Interestingly (well I think so anyway), I was involved with a project at Fonterra a few years ago moving the merged business units onto a common OS (at the time they were on a mix of systems, including Novell and Groupwise and Lotus Notes as well as M$ offerings).

Naturally, M$ were involved in the implementation and they were recommending Office XP with Windows XP (to get the best benefit - Office XP having been totally rewritten and allegedly much more efficient than 2000) - but Fonterra were determined to go with Office 2000 with Windows XP (or was it the other way around - Windows 2000 with Office XP??? Too long ago now and too many brain cells killed in the meantime!!)...

It got implemented OK, but I don't know what issues they had after implementation (if any)....

winmacguy
10-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Well the farmers are all getting a $100,000 payout from Fonterra, and they pay their top people a lot so it must have gone ok.

SurferJoe46
11-06-2007, 05:37 AM
OK...to satisfy this for myself, I formatted another older Dell beige tower Dimension XPS T700 P-III .7Ghz/1G RAM and 2-60G HDDS..all formatted and cleaned out...I did this last night..er, until about 4AM this morning anyway.

XP-Pro went in OK, and I stayed off the internet all the way thru this test..until the very end where I went to M$ for updates and WGA.

Anyway, I added Office 2000 right after SP-2 and it ran just fine

Next, a quick AVG-Free...up to last night's updates, and again Office ran fine.

I plugged in to the router and let things get id'd and all was fine.....

Went to M$ Updates, got them all (including WGA) and from that point on got the "Office could not fire this event" again.

So? Looks like one of the updates or hotfixes mucks is up.

It's isn't the platform..or what do you think? I know that Dell isn't the culprit, and AVG should not cause any either...methinks it's an update or hotfix.

I've got 4 Dells of various speeds..all P-III's, the SOYO and a friend's FIC that won't run Office 2000, and the error message is always the same...

"Office could not fire this event"