PDA

View Full Version : Game WAS legally installed

Prisoner
09-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi, Eons ago my kids installed the Harry Potter games onto our computer. Not long ago I uninstalled them using "Add or Remove Programs" - now they want to play them again. They were installed using the product code first time around and this time we can't find the original cases or codes. The games won't get past the enter code stage. There are saved games on the computer. Is there any chance of being able to find the code anywhere on the computer. Thanks, Jane

Renmoo
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey, uhm, Prisoner. Have you tried using System Restore to recover back the game and reuse the code?

Cheers :)

Greg
09-06-2007, 09:13 PM
It's a bit of a long shot, but try download and install the free Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) programme. Run it and look under Software licences where codes/keys are usually indicated.

godfather
10-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Hey, uhm, Prisoner. Have you tried using System Restore to recover back the game and reuse the code?

That would be a long shot, as System Restore is just that - Windows system files only, not user created files or complete installed programs. Some files may be restored but possibly not all.

motorbyclist
10-06-2007, 02:19 AM
lol, second thread i've seen today asking for help to "pirate" a game they've paid for.

sorry, there are ways to "get around" this reinstall problem but forum rules mean we can't help :(

Metla
10-06-2007, 02:21 AM
If you examine the files cached by system restore you will find entire directories of installed programs.

Which is one of the reasons I have it switched off, the few required system files required to get the system to boot in the event of a breakdown are easily replaced without needing to duplicate 10GB of of rubbish and unrelated files. Hell, The dam thing made a duplicate of my entire steam folder which was about 7GB alone.

motorbyclist
10-06-2007, 02:36 AM
lol - exactly why i turned it off anyway.

in my experience, if the computer is that f**ked for me to have to use system restore, system restore isn't enough to fix it.

Greg
10-06-2007, 02:44 AM
the few required system files required to get the system to boot in the event of a breakdown are easily replaced without needing to duplicate 10GB of of rubbish and unrelated files. How? And does it actually restore?

I've used System restore a couple of times and it's done the job. 10 gigs, or whatever space well used, I reckon.

Prisoner
10-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks! :)

drcspy
10-06-2007, 09:39 AM
ystem Restore is just that - Windows system files only, not user created files or complete installed programs

incorrect.......system restore certainly does 'restore' removed programs....try it ...

Jen
10-06-2007, 10:29 AM
lol, second thread i've seen today asking for help to "pirate" a game they've paid for.The poster was only asking if the key could be extracted from her computer; they are not asking for a pirated key.

Greg's suggestion of using Belarc Advisor is worth a shot. A small tip, a bit late for you now, but it is worthwhile writing the product key onto the CD itself as a record.

Good luck. :)

Renmoo
10-06-2007, 07:03 PM
her computer
Beats me, I didn't even notice that her name is Jane. :p

I am pretty sure recovering a program from System Restore is possible, godfather.

motorbyclist
10-06-2007, 07:24 PM
The poster was only asking if the key could be extracted from her computer; they are not asking for a pirated key.

i do realise that, but as i said, there are ways to "get around" losing your cd keys

Twelvevolts
10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
ystem Restore is just that - Windows system files only, not user created files or complete installed programs

incorrect.......system restore certainly does 'restore' removed programs....try it ...

I certainly hope it does!! How do so many people lose computer game boxes? I always write the serial number down in a text file on the PC as well as keeping the box (as well as backing up the PC).

Metla
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I certainly hope it does!! How do so many people lose computer game boxes? I always write the serial number down in a text file on the PC as well as keeping the box (as well as backing up the PC).

Easy.

Women with a "tidy house" fetish.

godfather
10-06-2007, 08:47 PM
System restore will recreate the Registry keys, but will not *always* recreate the installed data, where the data forms a key part of the application. It entirely depends on the manner in which the application installs.

Restored
Registry
Profiles (local only—roaming user profiles not impacted by restore)
COM+ DB
WFP.dll cache
WMI DB
IIS Metabase
Files with extensions listed in the <include> portion of the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK

Not Restored
DRM settings
SAM hives (does not restore passwords)
WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
Any file with an extension not listed as <included> in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK
Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (hklm->system->controlset001->control->backuprestore->filesnottobackup and keysnottorestore)
User-created data stored in the user profile
Contents of redirected folders