PDA

View Full Version : router troubles

Fergie
09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi All.
I'm in a 6 person flat in hamilton, we have broadband with Orcon and used to use a linksys wag54g wireless adsl router.
We used to always have to manually reset the router (ie, sometimes every tens min, sometimes never for a few days) to keep access to the net - we would have a connection to the router, just not always to the net.
The number of people using the net etc had no impact on this - i could be at home alone on teh net and have to reset it every ten mins etc etc
we tried a heap of things, but were told that the router itself wasn't up to scratch.

SO... we upgraded to a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless G Broadband Router. This arrived today, but now we have two problems.
1 - we can't even get an internet connection (been on the phone to orcon for ages, no luck) the signal is fine, just no internet connection. and
2. wots worse, is when this router is plugged in to the phone line, we can't use our phones. We're using the same filters/setup that we had in the old router (which never gave us phone troubles) so i can't figure out what it is.

Any ideas on what we can do?
Thanks

beeswax34
09-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Call linksys up rather than Orcon. I bought a 54G and I couldnt access the net either. They told me to change a few settings and voila, everything worked. Din't have any trouble with my phone though.

The_End_Of_Reality
09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a Linksys WAG54G and never a problem I would say it is your connection... Do you realise that the WRT54GS is NOT a modem? it is a ROUTER only (NO modem part) and isdesigned to plug in a modem into it to give more PCs ethernet access or wireless

motorbyclist
10-06-2007, 01:23 AM
i have a similar problem to you original issue. i'm with ihug, but it's a problem with my place being too far from an exchange.

of course the only person to admit it is the telecom guy who came and did the wiring so i don't have to use line filters (and to improve signal)

The_End_Of_Reality
10-06-2007, 08:35 AM
i have a similar problem to you original issue. i'm with ihug, but it's a problem with my place being too far from an exchange. Yeah, me too... (4.5KM) I often get disconnections BUT that is due to the distance from the exchage I am not the modem... the stability of my line was INCREASED when I brought the WAG54G instead of the Telecom supplied D-Link DSL302G

Nafai
10-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I use a linksys modem and linsys router if I plug the router into the dedicated internet port it does not work, if I plug it into one of the network ports all is sweet.

Linksys AG241 DSL Modem, WRT54GX_v2.0_Wireless.Router, and recently upgraded to a WRVS4400N_v1.0_Wireless.Router-VPN which still plugs into a network port instead of the dedicated internet port.

The_End_Of_Reality
10-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I use a linksys modem and linsys router if I plug the router into the dedicated internet port it does not work, if I plug it into one of the network ports all is sweet.

Linksys AG241 DSL Modem, WRT54GX_v2.0_Wireless.Router, and recently upgraded to a WRVS4400N_v1.0_Wireless.Router-VPN which still plugs into a network port instead of the dedicated internet port. That is because there were settings that you need to change for it to act as a BB router, it is currently acting only as a switch...