PDA

View Full Version : Copying - backing up - to an external hard drive

jno
08-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I have just purchased a Seagate 160Mb external hard drive and want to back up my C and D drives from my Acer 3002 WLMi laptop. I opened up My Computer, clicked on C drive, clicked on "Select all" and dragged all the files to the Seagate drive (F) folder SEA_DISC. The copying process started, but when it got to copying the file pagefile.sys, a window came up saying "Cannot copy pagefile: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

My brother, who also has an Acer laptop, suggested that I disable my virus protection - in my case Nortonworks - which I think I did. (What I did was to click off the "Turn on Autoprotect" so that it didn't start up when I started the computer, and re-started the computer.) . . . and tried again. No joy. So my brother suggested deleting the pagefile.sys file which he said one can do happily(!) I tried to do this, but the same window came up.

How do I back up my C and D drives onto the external hard drive?

trig42
08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Best way is to get some sort of imaging program (Like Acronis TrueImage). It will make an exact copy of your HDD to your external drive (from within Windows). This is ideal if you want to make an exact backup, so if your primary HDD fails, you can get a new drive and put this 'image' back onto it, boot up your computer and all will be as you left it.

Graham L
08-06-2007, 09:16 PM
The pagefile.sys file is the swap file. It is always in use as long as you are running Windows. You don't want to back it up, becuase it's enormous, and its contents depend on what Windows is doing at the time. It's not a file you can ever "restore" from backup. "Select all" then click on that file to deselect it.

This is a very crude backup method. ;) There are programmes which will do a better job. For example, you are backing up all the executables, including the OS.

jno
08-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks Trig42 and Graham L. I don 't think you completed your posting Graham . . it seems to finish in mid-sentence. I'll have to check out some imaging programs; I don't want to do anything "crude"!