PDA

View Full Version : Excel 97 slow to move from cell

Strummer
08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
This problem has just started recently.
I have a few columns that are conditonally formatted so the cell colour will changed to one of two colours when certain data is entered manually.

Three of these columns now take 2 or 3 seconds to move to the next cell when the data is entered.

Have I accidentally changed something in excel that I don't know about?

Cheers
Strummer

the_bogan
08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
This problem has just started recently.
I have a few columns that are conditonally formatted so the cell colour will changed to one of two colours when certain data is entered manually.

Three of these columns now take 2 or 3 seconds to move to the next cell when the data is entered.

Have I accidentally changed something in excel that I don't know about?

Cheers
Strummer

When putting in the conditional formatting, did you select the whole column in each case?( e.g A1 down to A65566) That will slow it down considerably, as it will be trying to recalc each cell everytime you change one.

Strummer
08-06-2007, 05:30 PM
No, it's formatted down to about row 1500. There is a column further along from the problem ones and it works fine.

the_bogan
08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
So the other cells move along fine? Sorry, I didn't really read your original question right.

Is your PC/ram struggling with anything else?

Strummer
09-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Okay the problem seems to be with linked data that I've added to the spreadsheet.
I made a copy of the sheet and took out the linked data and it seems to run fine.
What I don't understand is why it is effecting those particular columns when they are directly related to the linked data at all.