PDA

View Full Version : Clean & green hardware disposal / ethics

bardin
08-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I am contracting for a company who need to dispose of a bunch of CRT screens and old PCs. I told them there are companies who will come and take that stuff away for free, and dispose of it properly...well at least I think there are. But because they have fluffed around for too long in terms of the disposal, someone in management has made a unilateral decision to chuck it all in a skip.

I think that's pretty poor. I'm working with a canadian guy who says that in Canada it's illegal to dispose of CRTs and the like in such a way. I think it should be the same way here...we have a clean and green image, but do we really deserve it?

At the very least I think you should dispose of CRTs properly, i.e. put the tube in a box, screen facing down into some packing and break the vacuum at the top, so that the thing won't implode / explode in a landfill or on the way and potentially hurt someone. This is at least what I was taught back at tech when I did my CBC course (hardware class).

I don't have a lot or any say in regards to the company disposing of stuff this way, but it would be good if I did. They are a huge multinational...

Your comments appreciated.

Buff_K
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Well I have to say it's no surprise that a multinational takes this sort of lethargic approach to environmental issues.

I encourage you to do what you can to recycle the pc's, you obviously want to or you wouldn't have raised this issue.

So good luck, if your in Chch I can put you in touch with someone who puts together old pc's for poorer families who cant afford them.

Edit: just saw you're based in Auckland. Nevermind.

Greg
08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
If you do find someone who'll pick up old components for free, let us know.

qazwsxokmijn
08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Where abouts are you? Seeing as you're throwing them away, I may as well take a couple of PCs off you.

As for the rest, try phoning the local council.

beeswax34
08-06-2007, 06:33 PM
What about the Ark in East Tamaki who take old computer parts and cobble them into cheap systems.