PDA

View Full Version : Setting up 3 SATA HDDs.......

arseynimz
08-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi all,

I have recently gone about the purchase of a Western Digital Raptor drive, for which I intend to reinstall my OS on to, and then use the existing 2 Seagate Barracuda SATA drives in a RAID config (any advice on which config to use would be appreciated - still tossing up RAID0 or RAID1 - or other?). I may potentially purchase another Raptor drive and run the 2 Raptors on a RAID1 to look after my OS, and then run the 2 Seagates on RAID0 yet, but that's a story for another day......

Anyway, with the three drives, am I best to set up the RAID volume, and leave the Raptor as a lone drive? Or can I somehow set up the drives in some amazing RAID volume configuration that enhances performance ridiculously???!!!

Also, I am running Vista Ultimate, but is it easy enough to set up the "My Documents" area under Vista so that they are not on the Raptor, but on the Seagates?

Thanks heaps for any help!

Craig. :D

Faded_Mantis
08-06-2007, 05:38 AM
I would either leave them as seperate HDD's and use them as seperate HDD's or if I had enough space I'd set them as RAID 1, so if one drive went all my data was duplicated on the 2nd harddrive.

In RAID 0 if 1 drive goes you loose all your data as it splits it over both drives.

The_End_Of_Reality
08-06-2007, 08:36 AM
It really all depends on what you are using the 2 Seagates for... if it is data that you don't want to loose then I would suggest RAID 1... but if it is data that you don't care about and you want speed go RAID 0...

No, the drives are different speeds and IIRC to have RAID you need disks of the same speed (I might be wrong)

Shortcircuit
08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
There is no way to get 'more speed' out of the 3 drives together because the Raptor is 10,000rpm and the Seagates 7,200rpm. You cant use the raptor and 1 Seagate as a Raid because they are different speeds.

You would be best to use the Raptor as your OS HD being the fastest drive. You *should* then be able to use your two Seagates in a Raid1 as a back-up in case your raptor dies, but it's a bit pointless using two extra HDs as a back-up as only 1 is likely to die. You would get more or less the same result if you used 1 seagate as a straight back-up.

If it was me I'd be saving up for a second Raptor and running a Raid 0... it would load up Vista quite fast :D

The_End_Of_Reality
08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for confirming that Shortcircuit :) I thought I was right, just not sure...

I would use the Raptor as the OS (and yes as Shortcircuit said get another and have Raptor RAID 0 :eek: Whheee :D) and the 2 Seagates (might not have been clear in my 1st post...) as data drives and wheather you want RAID or not depends on the importance of the data and the speed you want... if the data is really important RAID 1 (will have the smallest disks capacty 40GB and a 60GB will give you 40GB) if the data is not important and you want speed RAID 0 but again you wil only be able to use double the smallest drive (a 40GB and a 60GB will leave you with 80GB) or if the data is important and speed is not important just seperate disks.

Or if you want the 2 drives to appear as 1 you can use JBOD but that is not really much of an advantage... the only 1 I can see is only seeing one physical drive :p but I would keep them seperate.

Though the latest Seagate 7200.10s have a reliability rate of 0.34% per year... meaning there is a 0.34% chance of one failing per year

SolMiester
08-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I would go as you guys already said, Raptor for o/s, seagates raid1, as you really wouldnt notice much speed difference anyway with raid0 unless copying vast amounts of data around, or perhaps huge graphic file manipilution....

arseynimz
11-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks all, I've made the executive decision to get another Raptor, and go with 2 lots of RAID1 - use the Raptors for my O/S, and the Seagates for my data......

Now the question is how easily Vista allows you to set up your "My Documents" folder on a separate drive to your O/S???!!!

The_End_Of_Reality
11-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks all, I've made the executive decision to get another Raptor, and go with 2 lots of RAID1 - use the Raptors for my O/S, and the Seagates for my data......

Now the question is how easily Vista allows you to set up your "My Documents" folder on a separate drive to your O/S???!!! Why would you want the Raptors in RAID 1? just keep all important data on the Seagate RAID 1 and run the Raptors in RAID 0 and that will be REALLY fast