PDA

View Full Version : It flickers and crashes...everyday

Dean139
08-06-2007, 12:19 AM
This is a strange one that occurs everyday late morning - I use my computer all day. When graphics usage is high - e.g. scrolling rapidly down a page, or when a number of programms are open, the screen goes blank and there is a pause, and then it resumes OK. Eventually the computer crashes (sometimes without the warning flickers above) and reboots itself and is then fine for the rest of the day and evening. The next day the process is repeated.

I've updated the video drivers but no change. I wondering if it has anything to do with bios? I'm running XP if that helps.

Any suggestions??:confused:

Dean139
08-06-2007, 12:19 AM

Greg
08-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Sounds pretty much like an overheating problem. Check in your BIOS what the system, CPU and PSU temperatures are after running it for a while under load. So if it crashes, reboot immediately and go into the BIOS straightaway while it's still warm.

Check too that the cooling CPU and graphics card fans both run ok - do that by removing the case side panel then switch on, taking care not to touch anything.

If all fans run ok and it is overheating then check that the CPU heatsink is mounted properly and not clogged up with dust.

Let us know how you get on.

Shortcircuit
08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I think Greg's on the right track, but if you're in NZ with the weather getting cooler it may start not doing it.

If you're confident opening the case (with the power plug out) check for dust clogging things up... fans and motherboard etc as dust is a good insulator. A soft brush and a 'gentle' vacuum should help.

You could also check that everything is connected up/seated properly, ram can sometimes be a culprit and removing it then reseating it can help.

Also make sure that the comp case isn't shoved up against a desk or something... the vent holes and fans are there for a reason.

I'd also do things like unplugging monitor leads and replugging them... could help.