PDA

View Full Version : Active desktop

WellingtonFF
06-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I believe I got a little hasty and attempted to restart my computer with out shutting it down first.
In any event I get a message headed
Active Desk top recovery

MS has exoerienced an unexpected error. As a precaution your Active Desktop has been turned off. To restore the Active Desktop use the following troubleshooting tips.

......or did you restart your ........shutting it down first (as Above) If so click ... to which I get a message

IE Script error
Line 65
Char 1
Error Object doesn't support this action

No problem booting up etc, but the desktop doesn't look very nice.

Very slow booting up and slow in general, but I do have NAV which I note has been completely canned on this forum. At least it is 2007, which I find a noticeable improvement over the last version. I do note the comment in another part of the forum where in the last edition or so back, NAV 2007 got the Editor's Choice

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated

george12
07-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Try disabling and re-enabling Active Desktop. This can be done from Display Properties I think (right click the desktop, click properties).

NAV has been 'canned' because most users here (myself included) have found that it slows the PC down dramatically, often stuffs up, and doesn't catch viruses that free AVs have no problem with.

I have no idea why it got the award, but then, I've never used NAV 2007, it might be good for all I know.

You probably have a lot of other rubbish running in the background. I recommend first running AdAware SE (a free download), and possibly Spybot (also free). If that doesn't help, download hijackthis and post the log here.

drcspy
07-06-2007, 04:21 AM
i'd guess you are running winME ? right clik the desktop and UNtick 'show webcontent'' ......that'll kill off the active desktop .....the only difference between that and 'ordinary' desktop is that you wont be able to display .jpg pics on your desktop as background.........thats a minor inconvenience.....as for norton a/v slowing down the pc it's very likely that is the case....however to check it is very simple just clik startbutton/run then type in msconfig then tap enter........in the config box goto the startup tab and UNtick 'ccaap'.....that'll stop norton loading at boot......then restart and see if it's any quicker.......

WellingtonFF
07-06-2007, 02:34 PM
i'd guess you are running winME ? right clik the desktop and UNtick 'show webcontent'' ......that'll kill off the active desktop .....the only difference between that and 'ordinary' desktop is that you wont be able to display .jpg pics on your desktop as background.........thats a minor inconvenience.....as for norton a/v slowing down the pc it's very likely that is the case....however to check it is very simple just clik startbutton/run then type in msconfig then tap enter........in the config box goto the startup tab and UNtick 'ccaap'.....that'll stop norton loading at boot......then restart and see if it's any quicker.......

Sorry - should have said XP Pro + SP2