PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Publisher - freeware alternatives?

camo
06-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Howdy,

Got a company laptop, but they haven't given me Publisher, which I really need temporarily.

Is there a freeware alternative of Publisher? I have tried OpenOffice.org, but I don't think that comes bundled with a publishing app.

Have you tried any? Can you point me in the right direction? Compatibility with .pub files is desirable, but not entirely essential.

C

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Howdy,

Got a company laptop, but they haven't given me Publisher, which I really need temporarily.

Is there a freeware alternative of Publisher? I have tried OpenOffice.org, but I don't think that comes bundled with a publishing app.

Have you tried any? Can you point me in the right direction? Compatibility with .pub files is desirable, but not entirely essential.

C

I think you will find that Publisher files are proprietary to Microsoft and won't work in their native format outside of MS Publisher which is fortunate for the rest of the publishing industry. :p

What are you trying to create?

I am about to try Gimp although I don't know if it contains layout capabilities. I think it is more for photos and illustration. As far as I know there are NO free layout apps available. There are a lot of professional layout apps that you have to pay for such as InDesign (Adobe) or Quark or older versions of Freehand which is also very good, but they all cost $$$

I have InDesign and Freehand.

vinref
06-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/) is very good. Open source.

The Pom
06-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Serif PagePlus is quite good. There is an (older) freeware version too.

netchicken
06-06-2007, 07:54 PM
90% of what you do in Publisher, you can do in Word.

Its a waste of a product.

Graham L
06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
But Publisher is wonderful. You get such a nice presentation that you don't need any content. :D

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Its a waste of a product. Agreed!

Word was probably built on Publisher and added extra features and abilities to make it Word. OR Publisher is a stripped out version of Word with a skin... :lol:

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 08:54 PM

Its a waste of a product.

Never a truer word has been said. :) (except for the bit about what you can do in Word)

Or Publisher was just Microsofts failed attempt at getting into the desktop publishing market.
Many years ago as desktop publishing was coming of age, Microsoft and Adobe had both produced code for the postscripting process which allows the RIP to interpret the data of an image file into something that can be printed on paper. Fortunately Adobe's Postsript language won the day and is the standard of the printing industry today.

Agent_24
06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Publisher 95 was good, tell it to create the paper plane then choose the option for AM/FM radio. It tells you that of course "the plane is just paper, what do you think you're doing trying to stick a radio on it!!!"

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Publisher is so bad (to quote Metla,)it "blows goats"

Metla didn't actually say that about Publisher as such, he said it about some other application.

PaulD
06-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Never a truer word has been said. :) (except for the bit about what you can do in Word)

Or Publisher was just Microsofts failed attempt at getting into the desktop publishing market.
Many years ago as desktop publishing was coming of age, Microsoft and Adobe had both produced code for the postscripting process which allows the RIP to interpret the data of an image file into something that can be printed on paper. Fortunately Adobe's Postsript language won the day and is the standard of the printing industry today.

Your history seems garbled. Adobe was established to promote PostScript at the same time MS was pushing MS-DOS. Aldus (later Adobe) Pagemaker was out for about 5 years before the 1st Publisher. There was a subsequent battle between Apple/MS True Type v's Adobe Type 1 fonts.

MS is still improving Publisher for small office jobs while Adobe has dropped Pagemaker and is concentrating on the higher end.

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Your history seems garbled. Adobe was established to promote PostScript at the same time MS was pushing MS-DOS. Aldus (later Adobe) Pagemaker was out for about 5 years before the 1st Publisher. There was a subsequent battle between Apple/MS True Type v's Adobe Type 1 fonts.

MS is still improving Publisher for small office jobs while Adobe has dropped Pagemaker and is concentrating on the higher end.

It probably is a wee bit garbled. I was just summarising what I could remember from when I studied graphic design.

Adobe is doing fairly well with InDesign of which I have version 2. CS2 is much improved though. They have given Quark a pretty good run for their money which was long over due.

Agent_24
06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Publisher is so bad (to quote Metla,)it "blows goats"

Metla didn't actually say that about Publisher as such, he said it about some other application.

It was about symantec's products, I believe

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
It was about symantec's products, I believe

yes, namely Norton's.