PDA

View Full Version : Temperamental Graphics Card

av4tarnz
06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Last week I purchased an XFX 640MB GeForce 8800GTS graphics card and Enermax 535W PSU with the intention of building my own PC to replace my current one.
I had a friend show me how to intall them in the PC I'm currently using and had it running nicely for an hour or so on his CRT monitor.
I get home and plug in my LCD monitor and things start to go haywire. The screen regularly pixelates in areas and in the Device Manager>Properties window for the card it says the something along the lines of 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'.
When my PC does get running correctly, within 10 minutes the new graphics card is feeling really warm and my computer restarts, I presume because the card temperature is too high.
I'm guessing, and hoping, that it is simply a lack of good cooling and ventilation from my case. Can anyone enlighten me?:

wratterus
06-06-2007, 09:59 AM
I'd double check that the power is plugged into the graphics card correctly and the fan is going. It does sound heat related. What size case do you have? how many fans? I have a friend who has a 8800GTX and he has 7 fans in his case to keep everything cool. :thumbs:

pctek
06-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I have a friend who has a 8800GTX and he has 7 fans in his case to keep everything cool. :thumbs:

7 is overkill. The neighbour has 2 and its fine.

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 10:23 AM
If the card was getting THAT hot you would not be able to touch it without getting burnt, the GFX cards can stand a lot higher temps than CPUs my 7800GTX for example slowsdown at 115C :eek: not that I have reached that :p

the MAX I have been able to get my GFX card is 92C and that is with no ventilation (was a test) so unless the HSF is loose or clogged I really doubt it would be over heating... in any case the cards just slowdown and not restart the PC...

Try running 3D Mark 06 and see if the PC restarts then... also get Speedfan and monitor the CPU and other temps and use the nVidia CP to monitor the GFX cards temp.

Also try reinstalling the GFX drivers

av4tarnz
06-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't know what the size of the case is off the top of my head, I'm using the HP Pavilion m7369a model which has only the one fan.
I've been running my computer with the side cover off too, which I imagine is proberbly not too smart.
I've checked and yes the card fan is going (it wasn't one time which had me worried) and the power supply plug clip is clipped onto the card clip.
I've lost count the number of times I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers that are on the supplied CD, although admittedly I haven't looked for anything on the net yet.

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Heh, my PC runs all the time with out the sides on and I have never had a problem... as long as no pets or large objects get in there it should be fine.

Dos it still happen with the CRT monitor?

There might be a bug with the CD drivers... try the latest from the net

IIRC that is a mid-tower...

av4tarnz
06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
3DMark06 is big, I'm still stuck with dial-up at home and I don't want to chew up the months download allowance at work. Does anyone know if a magazine happens to 3DMark on their cover CD?
Mid-Tower huh, makes sense, thanks for that Reality.

SolMiester
06-06-2007, 11:27 AM
If the card was getting THAT hot you would not be able to touch it without getting burnt, the GFX cards can stand a lot higher temps than CPUs my 7800GTX for example slowsdown at 115C :eek: not that I have reached that :p

the MAX I have been able to get my GFX card is 92C and that is with no ventilation (was a test) so unless the HSF is loose or clogged I really doubt it would be over heating... in any case the cards just slowdown and not restart the PC...

Try running 3D Mark 06 and see if the PC restarts then... also get Speedfan and monitor the CPU and other temps and use the nVidia CP to monitor the GFX cards temp.

Also try reinstalling the GFX drivers

Whether or not the HSF is loose, over-temperature will cause the system to reboot.

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Whether or not the HSF is loose, over-temperature will cause the system to reboot. But GFX cards have clock slow downs (nVidia ones do anyway) that they activate when they reach a set temperature, but do not restart the PC that I know of...

A friend had a 6800GT and that was hitting 125C which was the throttle temp IIRC and he got a popup saying that the temp had gone over and the card had slowed down... but it did not restart... I don't know about ATI cards, but nVidia don't restart that I have seen

SolMiester
06-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, it might not be the card itself causing the reboot, but the temp it dissipates to the rest of the system, however 9 times out of 10 if the systems doesn't lock up, it will reboot.

I have to say though that normally I haven't suffered too much from card over temps!....I guess the secret is to have a well cooled/ventilated case. However artifacts is a classic case of over heating!

pctek
06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmmm, I wouldn't assume its heat, feeling warm means nothing, it will feel warm.
Scorching hot is another matter.

I would suspect power except you have a nice Enermax thats more than capable of running it.

Troubleshooting time I think.
Tried another version of driver???

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Ah true... I never thought of that... With the GFX card being the biggest contributer to heat to the case other parts heat up due to the case temp... true... but even so doesn't it just turn off? cause that is what I have... when overclocking with my CPU setting the voltage too high and the temp hits 60C the PC just powers off... no restarting... Oh well, different hardware will do different things :p

av4tarnz
07-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I downloaded drivers for my card, released by nVidia on 17th May, and installed them last night. I tested Ghost Recon, which came with my new card, and didn't experience any sudden restarts.
I am however still having the screen screwing up/pixelating after turning my computer on after a period of time and the Display Properties under Device Manager still reads 'This device cannot start (Code 10)'. Reinstalling the drivers again fixes this but it just keeps happening....:annoyed:

The_End_Of_Reality
07-06-2007, 10:10 AM
What happens if you try the other DVI header on the GFX card?

Can you try another monitor? and see if that has the same issue... LCD or CRT will be fine

pctek
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Reinstalling the drivers again fixes this but it just keeps happening....:annoyed:

So if you have tried more than one version of driver and its still occurring I'd RMA the card.

av4tarnz
07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I've just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the upteenth time and got it displaying correctly, I opened up BIOS and under the Advanced 'Tab' there is the entry 'Primary Video Adapter' and the options are 'PCI', 'PCI-E' or 'Onboard'. 'PCI' was selected, shouldn't it be 'PCI-E'..............:illogical

The_End_Of_Reality
07-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Well yes, it should be PCI-E... you do have a PCI-E card... :rolleyes:

But why you had PCI selected I don't know... though I am not sure it would matter... cause I have a PC here with a GFX card and onboard, I can swap between the onboard and card withOUT having to select anything in the BIOS... it is all automatic

av4tarnz
08-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Now my computer just beeps at me when I start it up, now I'm extremely worried :horrified
Although all fans are going, including graphics card.......:help:

The_End_Of_Reality
08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Well what is the beep code and what is the BIOS? that will tell you what has gone wrong... Aslong as the PSU is switched on (and power is flowing through the system) the fans will go, fans are not a good idication of why the system is not working

av4tarnz
08-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Beep Code? It beeped once a second or so.
I tried starting up again this morning but the weren't any beeps, everything sounded normal, although nothing was coming up on screen.
I did change the BIOS setting from 'PCI' to 'PCI-E' last night, perhaps thats what done it?
All I really care about is that I haven't fried my new graphics card or PSU as I'm building a new system and I'm giving away my current computer with the old parts in it.

av4tarnz
08-06-2007, 09:39 AM
And yes the monitor is still plugged in.

The_End_Of_Reality
08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Well Google the beep code with the BIOS make/model

You said it was working after setting it to PCI-E right? then no, any and all GFX adapters are picked up during POST and they all display the BIOS screen so no, that will be fine

av4tarnz
08-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Ok, I found a general beep code page and it says repeating short beeps and no beeps are Power supply or system board problem. But when everything goes I don't get beeps. This was the page:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

The 'Primary Video Adapter' change was the only one I made in the BIOS and then everything started up fine. Starting up a few hours later resulted in the beeping with nothing appearing on screen, then starting up this morning there are no beeps but still nothing on screen.

av4tarnz
08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I read the wrong part of that beep code page. As soon as I heard the beeping I swtiched the computer off but I did hear at least three beeps.

The_End_Of_Reality
08-06-2007, 03:15 PM
So what is the BIOS? The codes are useless in identifying the issue unless you know what the BIOS is... (IBM, AMI, Phoenix, AWARD etc etc) Either use a program like Everest free to find it or look on the actual BIOS chip on the motherboard, that will tell you what it is.

The primary video adaptor setting will not cause it to not boot and give errors sometimes...

The_End_Of_Reality
08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Grrr missed the edit window :badpc:

If you leave the PC on while it is beeping, it will not hurt it... it is set to do that to tell you what is wrong... just leave it beeping and note what they are... and when (if) it stops

JJJJJ
09-06-2007, 07:43 AM
I have the same Graphics card (Nvidia 8800 GTS with 640 megs).

Has never looked like overheating. Runs in high 50's /low 60's.
My case has two 120 fans. One sucks, the other blows. I have Asus "Cool and quiet" running too. It keeps the fans running at a fast idle. No need for full speed.

As an aside. My cpu, (Intel X6800) runs in the 40's with the default heatsink.
Not enough space to fit the Zalman I bought.

Assuming your card is fitted correctly, I would suggest you look at a better designed case.

av4tarnz
09-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I went back to my friend who installed it for me and he completely stripped out and then reassembled my computer, which seemed to fix the issue.
I've now now removed the new graphics card and PSU from my current PC, it isn't worthy of using them.
So now I'm trying to decide what to get for my new computer, no doubt I'll be posting again soon looking for more advice.
Thanks everyone for your help.