PDA

View Full Version : Booting Problem - Please r-setting cpu frequency in the cmos setup?

Rayman
05-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Hello,

I Have just build a machine, But haveing a few booting problems.
When I first power up the machine every thing worked fine, detected all drives etc. Installed windows and so on. But today when I power on it there's are long beep, detects the drives and stops and shows the following message:

"Cmos checksum error - defaults loaded
Warning system in safe mode.
Please r - setting cpu frequency in the cmos setup."

What does this mean?
Is the Bios Not setup correctly?
What Do I need To Change?

Computer componets Installed Are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5400+
2Gb DDR 622 Dual Channel Ram in slots 1 And 2
Infinity INF NF SLI-M2 Motherboard
Geforce Nvidva 8800 GTS 329MB GDDR3 Graphic Card

I Have had a quick look through the bios and seems ok, But I don't really know what the values are meant to be for the cpu etc.
Do I have to clear the Cmos Memory Via Jumper?

Any Help Would be Great.

Thanks.

Graham L
05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

The "checksum error" indicates that the BIOS settings haven't been saved. So it installs the default settings. But you'll get that error each time until you save some settings.

Go into the BIOS setup, select the "Use defaults" option, then use the "Save and Exit".

Turn it off, restart, and see what happens.

Rayman
05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Graham,

I Tryed what you said and it worked, Windows boots. So thanks alot.
So What did the other message mean?
(Please r-setting CPU frequency in the cmos setup.)

Thanks.

Graham L
05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
The defaults will have used what it "knows" about what's on the board, but they haven't been saved. CPU speed is quite important, so it was probably trying to make sure you were happy with the value it's using.

Or it might just have been "confused", because the BIOS settings weren't saved. :D

Well done, by the way. Built your own, and no smoke. :cool:

feersumendjinn
06-06-2007, 01:27 AM
So What did the other message mean?
(Please r-setting CPU frequency in the cmos setup.)

You'll possibly need to set the fsb or cpu frequency, some motherboards dont do this automatically, they usually default to the lowest speed so as not to damage your cpu. You'll need to check your motherboard and/or cpu documentation for the right settings, or perhaps Google it.
Congrats on a successful build, good feeling when it goes, eh.:D