PDA

View Full Version : How can I emit wifi signals to a laptop/PSP to use wireless internet on Go Large

Fishy
05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm looking for a way for my sister to use her laptop wirelessly at home and me to use my PSP to play online at home but keep the same internet, Go Large. I've been looking for USB adaptors but what I can't figure out is when I plug one into my PC will it emit signals for a laptop/PSP to pick up or help receive signals? I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me if any of these 3 will emit signals. 1 (http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=4252), 2 (http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=4120), 3 (http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=3700)

If they don't can you direct me to one that will?

Cheers.

heni72847
05-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I think 2 can do what you want
"WL-U356 supports software AP function, which can turn the USB adapter into a compact Access Point."

but.. if you want notebook to work wirelessly and get the psp to go online at the same time.. this setup might not work

think of one of those wifi usb things as a network card
that's what basically what they are except they are wireless
but for wireless to work you need an access point
kinda where the wired signal becomes wireless

what you should be consider buying is an access point
so you can connect that to your router
then both laptop and psp can go online (if the laptop don't have onboard wireless network then you have to buy one of these wifi usb or just a wireless card)

just buying a usb wifi adaptor.. you can probably get your psp online by making your sister's notebook into an access point through the software provided
but then the notebook has to be connected with a lan cable to the router which kinda kills the whole point..

argh.. this got too long hope you get my point

The_End_Of_Reality
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM
ALL wireless gear will emit signals... it is a part of sending and recieving, that can work, but I can see it being very problematic...

The easiest way would be a wireless broad band router such as a Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL and then you can always connect via wireless and you have extra ethernet ports if need be... I have a Linksys WRT54GL (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345759) and it is great...

Fishy
05-06-2007, 09:07 PM
A good router is too costly and a waste of money for what we need it for. Just using one at a time will be fine.

So can someone else just confirm that buying the 3rd one I linked to will let me do what i'm wanting it for?

Just to confirm what that is: I've got wired internet, I want a way for that to emit wifi signals without buying a router so I can use a laptop/PSP around our house.

Cheers.

feersumendjinn
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
As the other guys said, your 2nd choice does seem to have some transmitting capability (the others effectively receive only), but it probably wouldnt get past the nearest wall (no external aerial), you need at least a wireless access point like this
http://www.netgear.com/Products/WirelessAccessPoints/WirelessAccessPoints/WG602.aspx
see diagram at bottom of page for your reference.

heni72847
05-06-2007, 11:58 PM
you don't need a new router
an access point is sufficient

my current setup at home is just like that
simply because I didn't think I would need wireless so got a dse 4 port+usb adsl router
then I needed wireless..so bought an access point and plugged it into the router and now notebook can connect to my home network wirelessly

the only way of you avoiding buying an access point would be to buy usb wifi #2
plug that into your desktop (assuming you have this wired to your router) and let the software that came with it to make that computer into an access point
then your sis' notebook and your psp can connect to the net wirelessly
..but easier to buy an access point imho

Fishy
06-06-2007, 07:24 AM
The wireless access point looks like the way to go. My router is a dlink 502t with only one ethernet and one usb port. The ethernet one is being used to go to this PC, so would the usb one be ok to connect the access point to?

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
No, I have never seen a USB AP...

If I were you, I know it is a little more expensive, but it will benefit... Get a BB wireless router like the Linksys I suggested and then you will have more ethernet ports and wireless and the wireless will always be there even if your PC is not... and the range will almost definately be better

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2007, 11:41 AM
No, I have never seen a USB AP...

I'm using 2 of them here.

They come with their own drivers which let you configure either as an AP or a station, WPA/WPA2/WPA 2 PSK, and MAC filtering.

And in the station mode (If its not in the AP mode), it's got a PSP X Mode.

For a PSP.

The_End_Of_Reality
06-06-2007, 12:06 PM
OK, so there are USB APs... I just had not seen any so wan't sure if there was...

NOTE: I said I had never seen them, I didn't say there wasn't any ;)

But if you enable Internet Connettion Sharing over the AP, that might work, I am not sure