PDA

View Full Version : Broadband dropping offline

theflyingsurfer
05-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I have a Xnet connection that has been working fine up until recently. It now decides to randomly drop offline after time :horrified (ie: I can't leave it overnight or throughout the day, but interestingly, if I'm constantly using it, it seems fine).:badpc:

When I try to connect to the internet again it won't, as the Modem cannot detect the DSL Signal. I have tried shutting down the PC, resetting the Modem etc to no avail, but, if I grab my cordless phone and take the phone off hook, after a small amount of time the modem's DSL light will flash and eventually go back online (this can sometimes happen immediatley or after 5 or so attempts).

When listening to the phone while off hook I hear a faint 'ticking' and can hear what sounds like an old dial-up modem. I have filters on my phone, no sky or the like and have tried unplugging/plugging all manner of combinations. The only change that I can think of is that a new next door neighbour has shifted in, could they have caused by broadband woes??? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sherman
05-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Call Xnet.
It sounds like there isn't an awful lot that you can do, that you haven't checked for already.

bob_doe_nz
05-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Thank the Trickster I'm not the only one.

I too have constant disconnection issues.

Out of curiosity, did you leave another ISP?

theflyingsurfer
05-06-2007, 08:33 PM
No, new to Broadband, what really bugs me is that until recently I haven't had a
problem.

dugimodo
05-06-2007, 08:40 PM
if your neighbour has had broadband connected it could affect your line, but more likely to reduce the speed slightly than what you describe unless one of you has a faulty line.

What seems more likely is a faulty plug in filter, you should not be hearing anything on the phone and it should not affect your internet connection. try the connection overnight without the filter, plug it directly into the phone line and leave the cordless phone disconnected. ( DSL routers / modems don't need a filter - it's more for the phone service)

If you don't have plug in filters it could be the phone itself, or the "splitter" in the ETP (white telecom box on outside of house - it's still just a filter but this kind are more reliable).

A faulty splitter anywhere in the house could potentially affect the DSL, other common culprits are sky modems or monitored alarms which are sometimes porly wired or simply not fed through a filter. If you have one of these it's best to have the house wired for DSL with the splitter type filter.