PDA

View Full Version : JPEG or BMP file conversion

Billy T
05-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Team

Mrs T wants to have a window film overlay made with a specific design on it, and I only have her chosen pattern available in hi-res monochrome bitmap and jpg formats.

Is it possible to convert either of these to Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) or Adobe Illustrator (AI) formats?

The company that makes the window films say that they will have to redraw them at a cost of $200-$300 which makes the job completely uneconomic. Apparently their computer controlled film cutter has to follow a line in one of those two formats.

As I understand it from them, there is a little more to it than just "saving as" but I know nothing about graphics files so any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Tony.br
05-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I put BMP to EPS Into Google and came up with several commercial programs.

More searching may find a free one

PaulD
05-06-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Speedy Gonzales
05-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Hmm looks like PSP can save Jpegs in EPS. In monochrome or colour.

And when u open the EPS file, you have an option of changing the DPI, putting it in landscape, 24 bit, grey scale, or monochrome.

And setting the page size.

Just inserted the EPS file into Word 2007. It loaded ok. A bit small tho, but u can resize it.

godfather
05-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Paint Shop Pro 7 appears to work fine for producing .EPS files here.

winmacguy
05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Team

Is it possible to convert either of these to Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) or Adobe Illustrator (AI) formats?

As I understand it from them, there is a little more to it than just "saving as" but I know nothing about graphics files so any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

That last bit is correct Billy, what programs do you have access to?

Graham L
05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
The Gimp graphics package should convert the file. jpg, bmp, eps, ps are all supported. (EPS will be an option of the PostScript output). Photoshop will probably do it, too. Google (www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=bmp+to+eps+gimp&meta=), as ever... ;)

Karlos Fandango
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Just had to joined, saw this thread, so here I am replying.

If this is of help.
In my experience, when companies refer to using EPS or AI files, they actually require “Vector” graphics rather than “Raster” images.

Vector Graphics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics
Raster Graphics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics

Unlike vector graphics, which can be saved as raster’s. Raster graphics will need to be drawn or traced for them to become vector based. Usually this is done manually, however there are applications like Adobe Stream line, which will offer an auto trace option.

Graham L
05-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Welcome to PressF1, Karlos.

An EPS file does contain the vector information in PS code to be rendered by the target application. It's only the included "preview" image which is raster mode.

PaulD
05-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Photoshop will probably do it, too.

Yes, you'd imagine that having created a format Adobe would use it :D

Graham L
05-06-2007, 07:56 PM
But they want people to pay for Photoshop. I don't think Billy wants to buy it to convert one file.

R.M.
05-06-2007, 08:09 PM
This might do the trick. Can't see a charge for it.

http://www.batchconverter.com/image-converter.html

PaulD
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
US$40 although you can download a trial. Whether that watermarks or not remains to be seen.

I've already linked to a free resource.

Greg
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Send the image to me Billy if you like and I'll convert it for you.

Karlos Fandango
05-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Apologies if I am going over old ground, and there is always a but.

But how would any this help in the case of Billy?

Are these converters not just a form of “Save AS” as in a graphics application for which Billy has been advised is not a solution?

If this were the case, would he then not just end up with a third graphic file? One that contains with the same content as the bitmap and jpg only this time with an eps file extension?

PaulD
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Good point, something like this might work http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

Greg
05-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Apologies if I am going over old ground, and there is always a but.

But how would any this help in the case of Billy?

Are these converters not just a form of “Save AS” as in a graphics application for which Billy has been advised is not a solution?

If this were the case, would he then not just end up with a third graphic file? One that contains with the same content as the bitmap and jpg only this time with an eps file extension?Yeah I think you're right. Fellow PF1 member Shortcircuit (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?u=8516) should be able to give a definitive answer.

Shortcircuit
05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah I think you're right. Fellow PF1 member Shortcircuit (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/member.php?u=8516) should be able to give a definitive answer.

How did you know I was lurking around Greg? :D

You would be best to open your 'pattern' in a drawing program and then export it to EPS (encapsulated post script), rather than saving it and adding .eps on the end.

If you need it done Billy PM me for my e-mail addy... or I'm sure Greg can do it for you as well in Photoshop.

winmacguy
05-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Photoshop as well as Freehand (similar to Illustrator) user(PC) here.

Billy T
05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Sorry to be so long coming back guys, and thanks for all the assistance. The suggestion of vector graphics conversion rang a bell, I think that is what they want.

I'll email the bitmap versions to Greg in the morning (if he promises not to laugh at Mrs T's taste or post links on PF1 to share the joke!!) and he can see what happens in a conversion.

Personally speaking, I can't see what's wrong with the existing curtain, but she's a powerful woman when she gets the bit between her teeth is Mrs T, and after 20 years (and the mental scars to prove it) I'm happy to oblige!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

winmacguy
05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry to be so long coming back guys, and thanks for all the assistance. The suggestion of vector graphics conversion rang a bell, I think that is what they want.

Billy 8-{) :groan:

That would be correct. It also makes for a scalable file that doesn't loose any image quality regardless of the size that th image gets enlarged to.

Greg
06-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I'll email the bitmap versions to Greg in the morning (if he promises not to laugh at Mrs T's taste or post links on PF1 to share the joke!!) and he can see what happens in a conversion.
:lol:

But yep I promise :thumbs:

Greg
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Well I tried to do the export/convert thing without success. My Photoshop CS doesn't have an option to export to .eps. It can export (a path?) to a .ai file, but it comes out only as a 1kb sized file, which is obviously wrong.

Sorry Billy T!

Graham L
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
If you don't want Gimp (which can "save as", but is enormous), Billy, have a look at ImageMagick (www.cs.sunysb.edu/documentation/ImageMagick-6.2.3/www/binary-releases.html). Page down a bit to see the Windows versions. With that, you just use the command: convert foo.jpg foo.eps .

PaulD
06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I thought that earlier but Imagemagick is most probably like Photoshop (and Gimp), raster in - raster out just in an EPS file. Adobe Illustrator was the vector centric app that might do the retracing bit.

Graham L
06-06-2007, 08:11 PM
convert converts files That's what it does. That command produces an EPS file. It's part of ImageMagick, which is a descendant of a long line of Unix image processing programmes. It's very general. It handles both raster and vector images. AN EPS file has to contain the PS vector code to be rendered by some application or it's not an EPS file.

I've found these instructions to do it in the Gimp:
launch Gimp
open the .jpg file
rightclick on the image
choose the "save as" option, and select .eps format

Karlos Fandango
06-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I still believe the answer lye’s with either, using a vector trace application like the one highlighted by PaulD. #16

Or manually using the likes of Illustrator, Freehand etc…

Either way, I reckon manual intervention is going to be needed. Rarely do the trace apps produce great finished artwork straight from the box. Although this would depend largely on the original image to start with, they can and are a good starting point.

Shortcircuit
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I tried to do the export/convert thing without success. My Photoshop CS doesn't have an option to export to .eps. It can export (a path?) to a .ai file, but it comes out only as a 1kb sized file, which is obviously wrong.

Sorry Billy T!

Greg/Billy- send it to me and I'll sort it... of course I only ever offer once... or was that twice? :stare:

Billy- Greg's got my e-mail addy if you really want to keep Mrs B happy

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Freehand uses and creates EPS files.

Greg
06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Billy- Greg's got my e-mail addy if you really want to keep Mrs B happyDone. Thanks mate - that's so typically helpful of you.

Billy T
06-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Billy- Greg's got my e-mail addy if you really want to keep Mrs B happy

I've spent 20+ years trying to keep Mrs T happy, with reasonable success, as much as any bloke can expect I guess, but I can always use a helping hand.

There are 4 files to convert, so if you can help, PM me your email address and I'll send them tonight or tomorrow morning. It is Mrs T's birthday tomorrow so it will make a nice surprise for her if we can pull it off!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cicero
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Well done B,made a few thinking caps come out of retirement.
Which of course is your speciality.

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 11:57 PM
There are 4 files to convert, so if you can help, PM me your email address and I'll send them tonight or tomorrow morning. It is Mrs T's birthday tomorrow so it will make a nice surprise for her if we can pull it off!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

What size are the files?

Greg
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
What size are the files?
+/- a meg each.

Billy, I emailed you Shortcircuit's address, but will PM it you now as well.

winmacguy
07-06-2007, 12:35 AM
+/- a meg each.

Ah, pretty regular.

Billy T
07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Well, I sent the files to Shortcircuit last night and now wait with bated breath to see what transpires!

Mrs T liked her cards and presents and has toddled off to work with a smile on her dial (unusual this early in the day, she is DEFINITELY NOT a morning person), the sun is shining here in Jaffaville, TNZ 5-0, giving Alinghi team a serious dose of the skitters, so all is well here at Chez Billy.

Thanks to everybody for their input and offers of assistance, IMHO PF1 is unmatched anywhere for the breadth of knowledge and helpfulness of its members. The absence of L33T Sp3ak is a blessing too!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Shortcircuit
07-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Sorry Billy/Greg... I was sort of 'out to lunch' but have now completed the task and have e-mailed Billy the files back.

We may both have to run from Mrs T if it doesn't work :eek:

Greg
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
We may both have to run from Mrs T if it doesn't workIf it doesn't it won't be your fault mate! At worst it'll come down to Mrs T having to desex Mr T and then flower designs becoming the new avant garde in window decorations! :eek:

Shortcircuit
07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
If it doesn't it won't be your fault mate! At worst it'll come down to Mrs T having to desex Mr T and then flower designs becoming the new avant garde in window decorations! :eek:

I'd hate to be responsible for someone having their pet neutered, but I will stand by my tattered repution and say that it 'should' work.

Ain't nutthin wrong with flowers, just not in MY house :D

Billy T
08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Well folks, there's good news and there's bad news.

First the good news: Shortcircuit's conversion did indeed produce a genuine EPS vector graphics file.

Additional good news is that thanks to Greg and SC (plus an inspired choice of birthday present) I earned enough brownie points to stay alive for another week, and Mrs T is still undecided on ultimate termination or perhaps keeping me around as an occasional boudoir plaything for a while yet.

The bad news is that the background history of the file (scanned at hi-res from hard copy) was not the best, and when they blew it up to check the graphics, they found that at very high magnification it was composed of dots, not solid black so the computer cutter can't follow it. That means that we can't do the window film at all, despite everybody's best efforts.

Of course the other moderately good news is that I won't have to look at the darned thing every day for the rest of my life, which suits me just fine because I've seen quite enough of it over the past weeks to last me a lifetime.

On to plan B, a nice girlie curtain!

Thanks again to everybody for their input on this, and to SC for getting it to a conclusion, even if it wasn't as successful as Mrs T might have wished.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

winmacguy
08-06-2007, 11:14 PM
The bad news is that the background history of the file (scanned at hi-res from hard copy) was not the best, and when they blew it up to check the graphics, they found that at very high magnification it was composed of dots, not solid black so the computer cutter can't follow it. That means that we can't do the window film at all, despite everybody's best efforts.

Billy 8-{) :)

Sounds like the EPS was just a hi res image of pixels rather than a vector graphic image. A vector graphic would use bezier curves from point to point rather than a series of small dots. You need a bit more than file conversion to do that as well as a Mac ops eye for the finer detail.

Shortcircuit
09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Billy, you should have let me know instead of giving Winmacguy something else he thinks he knows everything about. :annoyed: (strange- I don't actually see HIM doing anything constructive)

I'll sort it later, but I have to go to work now.

winmacguy
09-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Billy, you should have let me know instead of giving Winmacguy something else he thinks he knows everything about. :annoyed: (strange- I don't actually see HIM doing anything constructive)

I'll sort it later, but I have to go to work now.
Since Illustrator was mentioned with the ai fomat would mean that the guys needed vector based art work rather than pixel based. That is something that people working in design and print are used to looking out for.

Shortcircuit
09-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Since Illustrator was mentioned with the ai fomat would mean that the guys needed vector based art work rather than pixel based. That is something that people working in design and print are used to looking out for.

Cool, so I guess you are going to sort it for Billy instead of shooting your mouth off... he will be pleased :thumbs:

winmacguy
09-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Cool, so I guess you are going to sort it for Billy instead of shooting your mouth off... he will be pleased :thumbs:

He is most welcome to send me the file.

Shortcircuit
09-06-2007, 03:07 PM
He is most welcome to send me the file.

Yeah, and you've posted in this thread over half a dozen times without offering. That says a lot to me.

Just another FKIA

Graham L
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Perhaps the signwriters should use HPGL. It was designed to do plotting with pens. That code is almost as easy to write as PostScript.

Cicero
09-06-2007, 06:17 PM
The question is,have you genius's fixed B's prob.

Greg
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
The question is,have you genius's fixed B's prob.Personally I don't think it's gonna happen, not with the image in its present state; as mentioned the original is pixelated.

Having said that I know Shortcircuit's skillz are pretty 733t, but I think it would be too laborious to achieve, hence the reason the shop wanted to charge several hundred bucks to do it.

Shortcircuit
09-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Personally I don't think it's gonna happen, not with the image in its present state; as mentioned the original is pixelated.

Having said that I know Shortcircuit's skillz are pretty 733t, but I think it would be too laborious to achieve, hence the reason the shop wanted to charge several hundred bucks to do it.

Thanks Greg, but apparently I'm not a 'real graphics guy'.

Actually I think I mostly did it 2nd time around... with Winmac's assistance of course.

We shall have to wait and see if BillyT decides to go with the net curtains or not.

Greg
10-06-2007, 01:52 AM
We shall have to wait and see if BillyT decides to go with the net curtains or not.Scary thought huh! :lol:

Billy T
10-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Don't you be worrying about WMG anymore. As soon as he finds out Consumer rated Macs as the most reliable computer he'll be off partying with fellow McNuts for weeks.

Of course Macs were rated agains Dell, HP/Compaq, Acer & Packard-Bell so they are not exactly sailing in pristine waters there.

The party may also be dampened a bit by the laptop ratings, where Mac came in 4th behind Sony, NEC and (wait for it) DELL!!

Now, updating the image file saga: After I reported the latest set-back (the flower image being u/s) Mrs T vanished out the door and came back several hours later with an expensive silk-flowered thingummy which she took to with scissors and sewing machine, then got me to take screwdrivers, wirecutter, hacksaws and other implements of destruction to the curtain rail and associated accoutrements.

As I type she is installing her latest creation, which I couldn't possibly comment on (I mean it, I couldn't possibly comment, at least not without first updating my will) so it appears that all of my agony and your gratefully received assistance was for nought. If only the window film company had equipped themselves with the full range of software and skills required to service their clients, none of this would have been necessary.

Thanks again for all the help, at least it raised my brownie points a couple of clicks.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :xmouth:

godfather
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Has Mrs T considered the possible negative impact on house values in the area, with such displays of artistic taste in decorating?

Can we also expect to see ducks on the wall inside, and large ornate butterflies on the outside wall of the house soon?

Are you game to respond truthfully, lest she see the thread?
Or do you already sing Falsetto in the choir?

Billy T
10-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Has Mrs T considered the possible negative impact on house values in the area, with such displays of artistic taste in decorating?

If anybody dares to criticise her taste, especially a real estate agent, or a neighbour, she'd probably invite them in for a free knuckle tasting session!

Can we also expect to see ducks on the wall inside, and large ornate butterflies on the outside wall of the house soon?
Well, I drew the line at butterflies, but I settled for a large Morris and James "Pot of Flowers" plaque. However the trade-off was a set of three flying ducks (no, I kid you not) of which Mrs T regularly asks "but you do like them really don't you?" and I reply "not really" and "when is my shotgun due back from the gun shop?"

Are you game to respond truthfully, lest she see the thread? Or do you already sing Falsetto in the choir?
Game?? GAME???? Of course I am. What kind of wimp do you think I am?

Mrs T has no idea that PF1 even exists, and if she ever finds out I can always volunteer for active service in Iraq doing something safe, like defusing roadside mines.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :xmouth: :xmouth:

Cicero
11-06-2007, 12:24 AM
All I can say B,is that I leave for Bangkok today from here in Derbyshire,I will think of you as I am pampered by a covey of nubiles.