PDA

View Full Version : Speed Question

alsoslick
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
My computer is painfully slow starting up and shutting down but once it's running, it runs up to speed like it normally does. I've never had this happen so I don't know how to approach the problem. What can I do to speed up the start-up and shut down?

Tony.br
05-06-2007, 08:37 AM
How fast is your processor, how much memory is free, how much free space on your hard drive. All these are important.

Of these memory is the most vital.

512meg is a minimum I would want to see on an XP system.

Meantime I would do the following..

Update your AV program and scan.

Same for Antispyware (ie ADAWARE or SPYBOT or both)

Install and run CCleaner and do this on daily basis
www.ccleaner.com

Next have a look at what is running when you startup

there are seval programs that can do this better than the windows MSCONFIG

STARTER is one
http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/products_starter.html

Temporarily disable anything that you dont recognise, reboot and see what all this has done and come back here if no improvement.

PinoyKiw
05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
One area you could look at in regards to starting up could be what programs are starting as the computer starts.

Start > Run > type in msconfig > Press Enter > have a look under the start up tab and see what is ticked.

Don't untick stuff you are unsure about, you can always ask here to confirm whether you need to have that specific program starting at Startup or not or google it.

On restart, there will be a box warning you are using Selective Startup, just tick and click OK.

http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=1.40.520&l=1033

The above Link will take you to CCleaner, use that to clean out temp files etc, they can all slow down your system in various ways as well. Plus it is free.

Thats a start on the software side.

alsoslick
05-06-2007, 09:46 AM
How fast is your processor, how much memory is free, how much free space on your hard drive. All these are important.

Of these memory is the most vital.

512meg is a minimum I would want to see on an XP system.

Meantime I would do the following..

Update your AV program and scan.

Same for Antispyware (ie ADAWARE or SPYBOT or both)

Install and run CCleaner and do this on daily basis
www.ccleaner.com

Next have a look at what is running when you startup

there are seval programs that can do this better than the windows MSCONFIG

STARTER is one
http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/products_starter.html

Temporarily disable anything that you dont recognise, reboot and see what all this has done and come back here if no improvement.

The link is broken but I did CCleaner, Spybot, and Ad-aware and its still the same. The programs that start in the begining are normal too.

pcuser42
05-06-2007, 04:56 PM
One step: remove Norton completely if you have it.

radium
05-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I know that Norton is abit of a resourse hog, but it's not that much. My parents still run Norton on their comp and it starts up fast as.

Graham L
05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Some of the "Group Policies", expecially the security ones have been blamed for slow booting. Even if the machine isn't on a network, a lot of time can be spent trying to access the network to check such things. ;)