PDA

View Full Version : How do I do it?

haysmith
04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I have a new computer, Vista Home Premium, with SATA HDD partitioned.
From my dead computer (M/board) I have fitted as slave HDD to the new box. This HDD has legal Windows XPPro + OfficePro etc.
How to access and run OfficeXP when OS is Vista?? We need to use XPOffice for teaching purposes on a random basis.
Having gone to the fairies 5yrs ago and now not able to resolve it myself, although somebody told me it can be done but I need the result in writing!

stu161204
04-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Welcome to PressF1 haysmith :D

If you have MS Office XP install disks you should be able to install MS Office XP on to Vista, That’s is if MS Office XP will work with Vista (I am not too sure if it will or not, but give it a try & see what happens)

If you can’t install MS Office XP under Vista, you should be able to dual boot Vista & Your XP hard drive, I will let someone else tell you how to dual boot Vista & XP

I Hope this is of some help :)

Good luck!

Faded_Mantis
05-06-2007, 05:27 AM
You've got your work cut out there haysmith.

First, unlike windows + Linux, Vista and XP don't like to dual boot off seperate HDD's (Although it can be done with some playing around). You could try changing which hard drive has boot priority in bios. If this worked it would need to be done on each boot when you needed the other OS. Not sure if this would create any problems such as the computer refusing to boot, although it should still reach bios for you to change it.

A VERY undesirable method would be to turn off the computer and unplug the new Vista hard drive and plug in the XP one to use office, and then switch them back again while the computer was turned off to use Vista again/

[This bit is relevant to both on the same HDD, not sure about seperate HDD's]
The other problem is by installing XP second when using the same HDD with different partitions the XP boot loader over writes the Vista one, and the XP boot loader wont let you boot into Vsita, so you need to use the Vista disc to re-instate the Vista boot loader after installing XP. This is because XP uses boot.ini where as Vista uses bcdedit.exe.

beama
05-06-2007, 07:57 AM
sorry Faded_Mantis but swapping drives then booting from the xp disk wont work.
Remember xp is keyed to hardware of the host computer and it will not like want you are suggesting. If it did work, you also have the problem of finding xp drivers for the new guest Hardware.

maybe this an idea, copy data from the xp disk, download Open Office (if install disks for office are not to be found) otherwise stu's idea of trying to install office on vista is a good one

haysmith
05-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you for all the comments.
I have done the change BIOS and it works great
But I am hoping to run office on Vista - time will resolve
May eventually load XPOffice on to vista drive

pctek
05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I have fitted as slave HDD to the new box. This HDD has OfficePro .
How to access and run OfficeXP when OS is Vista??

You have to reinstall Office again.

haysmith
06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
You have to reinstall Office again.

I thought that might be the solution. So will do so. Tnx