PDA

View Full Version : I need a new printer, not sure which one!!!

MelodyL
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I purchased my HP Media Center PC last year, my older printer (which I adored, and was an HP Photosmart 1000, well it cost us $250 when we purchased it and it had all bells and whistles, was a real heavy thing, worked perfectly, and if you wished, you could program to print pictures, etc. (I never did this). I did print photos off of my "my pictures" folder, but I really used it mainly as MY PRINTER!!!

Now as I said, it worked perfectly with my Windows ME. But then I go and get this media center thing, (with XP) I try and hook up my beautiful expensive printer and I am told "This is not compatible" So I phone up Microsoft and they don't provide drivers any more for anything to do with Windows ME. I then phone up Hewlett Packard and I'm told "you can't use your old printer with Windows XP, it's not compatible"

So I went and got this piece of cr*p. It's a HP Deskjet 3940 and the ink cartridge is #21 (for black ink) and #22 for colored ink. I hate this printer. Not that it doesn't work...sure it works. But it's like a tinker toy compared to my Photosmart printer. I got this one at Radio Shack. Paid $59.00 for this printer. What does that tell you??? I thought, wow, what a good deal!!! It was the only one they sold (that's what they told me when I got the computer through them.)

So I get this Deskjet 3940 (by the way, this is the second one, they had to replace the first one, it kept jamming). It's too light, it moves around too easily. To me, my old photosmart printer (well I loved that printer).

So I gave that old one to my friend and she has webtv from MSN and she loves this printer. The ink cartridges were very expensive but at least they lasted for a length of time.

I absolutely hate this printer and the ink cartridges don't last for anything. They cost $18.00 in the computer store and I went back there the other day saying "you know, I bought an ink cartridge here last week and it it already out of ink. Do they make a better cartridge?,and she said "no, this is the only one for your printer". So my printer is a piece of junk. And I don't print every day. Only once in a great while.

So here's my question.

What printer (better than the one I have) when I save up some money, what printer can I get for my HP Media Center, Windows XP computer??.
I will not go to Radio Shack any more.
Anybody know which printer I should purchase. Online, maybe??? I really hate this one!!!!

Any information would really be appreciated
Thanks,
Melody

winmacguy
04-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Are you based in the United States? The reason I ask is because this is a New Zealand based website and we don't have Radio Shack in New Zealand. We could offer you help but it might not be relevant to the US.

Myth
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Driverguide.com (http://www.driverguide.com/) ... join it (free). There are drivers there for your trusty Photosmart P1000 and XP (http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=126547)

johcar
04-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Having just bought an HP Multifunction printer with my new HP Media Centre PC earlier this year, I would recommend just about anything BUT HP printers. They do Laser printers well - have done for years. But their home printers are cr*p IMHO! The software provided is not intuitive, takes up huge chunks of space on C:\ and did I say the software isn't intuitive!! :D (Print quality is pretty good though - but I'm comparing the quality with a six year old Canon)

I will not be replacing my printer next time with another HP - I will go back to a brand I trust: Canon. My BJC-6000 gave me trouble-free service for six years with a very easy interface. Yes, I know, the amount of ink I bought over the period could have easily paid for a new printer every year....:groan:

johcar
04-06-2007, 06:12 PM
PS. Welcome to PressF1 MelodyL!

pctek
04-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Having just bought an HP Multifunction printer with my new HP Media Centre PC earlier this year, I would recommend just about anything BUT HP printers.

The software provided is not intuitive, takes up huge chunks of space on C:\ and did I say the software isn't intuitive!!

Well I really like my HP Business Inkjet 1000.
But then I only let it install the driver, not all the bloatware that comes bundled with it.

And I get 1200 odd pages per $19.99 cartridge too.

Yep, DriverGuide has drivers for ME for the Photosmart 1000. Never listen to MS or HP helpdesks.

Myth
04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Having just bought an HP Multifunction printer with my new HP Media Centre PC earlier this year, I would recommend just about anything BUT HP printers. They do Laser printers well - have done for years. But their home printers are cr*p IMHO! The software provided is not intuitive, takes up huge chunks of space on C:\ and did I say the software isn't intuitive!! :D (Print quality is pretty good though - but I'm comparing the quality with a six year old Canon)

I will not be replacing my printer next time with another HP - I will go back to a brand I trust: Canon. My BJC-6000 gave me trouble-free service for six years with a very easy interface. Yes, I know, the amount of ink I bought over the period could have easily paid for a new printer every year....:groan:Interesting. I just bought a Photosmart all-in-one last week, so far I'm impressed (its printed over 100 pages so far, faster, quieter and better than the Epson it replaced), since I use Linux I am using the Linux drivers (so no bloatware)

tutaenui
04-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Frankly I like HP inkjet printers, they appear to use less ink than other brands and I have never suffered an ink blockage, even with one printer that I use only very intermittently.

netchicken
04-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I bought a Canon MP150 for $110.
Had it a few months, hardly used it, and ran out of ink ....

Just had to buy 2 BW and color cartidges for it, guess the price .... $100

Otherwise a good printer / scanner

KenESmith
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Depends on what you want to print - Photos then go for an Epsom Photo Model - I have an R310, and it produces great prints.
General Black and White - reckon go for a Brother Laser HL2040- bottom of the range costs AUD109 in Brisbane - cheap to run - cartridges reasonable - when it needs a new drum get a new printer it's cheaper.
If you do any quantity of B&W printing it is cheaper to run both.

Nomad
04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Epson is good for photos
Laser is great for economy.

HP I heard is not that bad, maybe you got a bad sample or maybe its a low ended one? AFAIK for a decent model, the HP has print heads in the inks so its less likely to clog.

For photo's, it does take a bit of ink, I have jsut printed a couple of A4s, I won't be surprised if the ink is like 25-30% depleted. The key to minimise inks is to get a printer that has individual color tanks so you can replace each one than a set .. when some colors may not had run out.

heni72847
05-06-2007, 01:21 AM
had 3 printers over the past 10 years

first one was epson..looong time ago
had it working with window 95
printer head blocked eventually, too much to repair so got new printer

second printer is Canon BJC-2000SP
this one you can change the printer head if necessary
or you can just buy the cartridge by itself which is cheaper
I was trying to prevent it dying the same way the epson one did
but.. at the end.. the printer head got blocked too
so went to dse and look at that replacement I can easily get
...costs just over $100
and saw canon pixma ip2000 on sale for $99

so..felt bad for the old canon and ..ahum.. the environment but I bought the pixma anyway

pixma ip2000 you can't buy the printer head replacement yourself
but seems easily replaceable (you kinda have to install it yourself when you buy the printer, but that part is for sale seperately)

it can print faster, prettier and quieter if necessary compared to my old canon printer so I was happy about it
black ink under $10 if you buy dse brand, and I actually found a computer shop that sells proper canon ones at similar price

no problem with this canon pixma right now so I don't mind recommending it
oh one thing..
canon printer driver support for linux is crap
they don't seem to release things so setting it up to print through network printer sharing was kinda annoying on my kubuntu machine
but sorta worked at the end

MelodyL
05-06-2007, 04:43 AM
I am based in the USA. I can't get the photosmart printer back. I gave it to a friend who is an epileptic. So it would not be a nice thing to do to get it back. I gave it away bcause the guy on the phone told me "you can't use a Photosmart P1000 with Windows XP". If he had told me I could get drivers over the internet, then I would have kept it. But it's too late now.

I'm not the kind of person, who gives a person a gift and then, because I can use it, takes it back. I would NEVER do that.

And I don't need a printer to print photos. I just want a good quality printer that is not so light that if you bump it, if comes off the shelf. This is like a piece of junk.

So some of you don't like a HP. Some of you like the Canon.

Some time ago, I got a lexmark printer. You load the paper from the back. I hated it and vowed, no more back loading of paper.

That's why I like the HP's. You load the paper from the front. NO problem.

I guess I'll just keep looking. I will find my printer some day.

Thanks so much all of you.

Melody

Myth
05-06-2007, 07:36 AM
I am based in the USA. I can't get the photosmart printer back. I gave it to a friend who is an epileptic. So it would not be a nice thing to do to get it back. I gave it away bcause the guy on the phone told me "you can't use a Photosmart P1000 with Windows XP". If he had told me I could get drivers over the internet, then I would have kept it. But it's too late now.

I'm not the kind of person, who gives a person a gift and then, because I can use it, takes it back. I would NEVER do that.Ahh sorry, was under the impression you'd kept the older one.

And I don't need a printer to print photos. I just want a good quality printer that is not so light that if you bump it, if comes off the shelf. This is like a piece of junk.

So some of you don't like a HP. Some of you like the Canon.

Some time ago, I got a lexmark printer. You load the paper from the back. I hated it and vowed, no more back loading of paper.

That's why I like the HP's. You load the paper from the front. NO problem.

I guess I'll just keep looking. I will find my printer some day.

Thanks so much all of you.

MelodyIf you prefer HP, then get HP. Have a look round at the PSC range of all-in-ones. Or you could hit ebay and see if you can buy another P1000. Maybe.

Tony.br
05-06-2007, 07:57 AM
For what its worth, my personal favorite is CANON Mine is an MP-750 MFC

Canon have one major plus. A lot of their models print CD's and its brilliant

Scan, Print, copy (some fax) and print CD's in one unit.

pctek
05-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I bought a Canon MP150 for $110.

Just had to buy 2 BW and color cartidges for it, guess the price .... $100

http://www.inkvenus.co.nz/shop/CANON/PIXMA+MP150.html

Tony.br
05-06-2007, 12:59 PM
The cartridges for my MP-750 are about $16 each

5 cartridges. 3 colour, 1 x Pigment Black and 1 x Dye Black so you replace whichever is empty.

MelodyL - I don't care what you get. Just make sure it is a multi cartridge system and I suggest at least a 4 cartridge system.

Some of the new Epson printers have cartridges that are about $10 each but I have no personal experience with them, however from reviews I have seen, Epson and Canon normally come top or near top.

MelodyL
06-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Wow, I never thought I could even afford a laser printer.

But anything would be better than this $59.00 piece of junk.

I'm saving my money and when I have enought, I'll get a better one.

Thanks so much

Melody

Sherman
06-06-2007, 01:01 PM
oh one thing..
canon printer driver support for linux is crap
they don't seem to release things so setting it up to print through network printer sharing was kinda annoying on my kubuntu machine
but sorta worked at the end

Really? I found drivers for my PIXMA MP160 printer (from canon).
You have to go to the canon-asia site to get them though, not the US canon site.
Drivers come as a .rpm (which im sure you can alien to a .deb) or as a .tar.bz2/gz). I installed the rpm on my linux system, and my printer works perfectly.

EDIT: Ah, just looked at the canon-asia site and no linux driver for the IP2000...
It seems they only have linux drivers for some printers

SolMiester
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, my vote is for HP printers too, they wrote the damn printer language for gods sake!.....thats why the drivers are built into XP, except the new models of course.

As for ink jets running out of ink, DONT leave the printer turned on all the time, it dry out the cartidge....

KenESmith
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM
If you are looking for a Black and white laser Printer, take a serious look at Brother- Their laser engines are made by Canon.
Visit brother usa.com
Model HL-2040 USD119.99 - 600 dpi Mono printer
Model HL- 2070N USD149.99 - up to 1200 dpi 16MB memory- network ready
Model HL-5240 DN USD 249.99 - 1200 dpi Duplexing and network ready
Consumables will cost you about 1.5c per copy, better that the 9 -12c for inkjets, and depending on the cartridge supplied up to 3000 (for2040) to 6000 copies before replacement - the drum is good for 20,000 copies before replacing.
The Brother machine is a good economical workhorse, HP are not that much better to warrant the price differential. At the University we used them for personal printers - they gave a lot of service - if you are looking for bang for your buck - you would be hard pushed to do better.
I have used Brother Monochrome Lasers for more than 10 years, without any grief - no I don't and never have worked for Brother

linw
06-06-2007, 03:57 PM
It sure sounds like you should seriously consider a mono laser to me. Like Ken says, they ain't expensive anymore. And if it seems a bit light, put a brick in it:D

andy
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I have had many printers over the last 20 years. Worst was a Lexmark. Epson were better than HP but the canon ones (i'm on my fourth) have always been the best (I wrecked one by using el-cheapo replacement cartridges though). Current one is an IP4200. The ink is expensive but lasts a long time. It prints excellent quality photos and prints cds as well. My wife has the MP500, which is basically the same printer with an added scanner/copier and it too is a really nice printer. You will find that the cheaper printers tend to be expensive for ink, but n the end, the ink is the biggest cost for all of them.