PDA

View Full Version : dos + usb + ipod

chris_nz
03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I thought I had left the DOS world behind long ago, but it never quite goes away. Has anyone managed to 'see' their ipod drive in a DOS environment? I've hunted down the right drivers, aspiusb.sys (or similar) and twiddled config.sys but I can't seem to get USB recognised in DOS, let alone see a USB flash drive or an ipod.

To repeat, as anyone managed to 'see' their ipod drive in a DOS environment? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
03-06-2007, 07:46 PM
And what version of Windows are u talking about??

Since u wont boot from XP into DOS, since it hasnt got DOS.

You'll have to make a bootable usb flash disk or Ipod.

I've made a bootable usb flash drive, for updating the BIOS. Since I dont use floppies.

Also, with either, it helps if the BIOS has the option to boot from USB devices.

pctek
04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
DOS doesn't have USB support so you're wasting your time trying.
Why dod you need to see it from DOS anyway?

beama
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
There are generic usb drivers out there for dos I have used them to enable a usb cdrom in DOS (6.2X) enviroment but it was ages ago and I dont have the drivers no longer
but this google search (http://www.google.co.nz/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=dos+usb+drivers&meta=&btnG=Google+Search) looks promising.

good luck

chris_nz
05-06-2007, 12:40 PM
To 'fix' a usb drive whether it's an ipod or whatever needs DOS with usb support. Most low level drive fixers won't operate under windows.

So I downloaded a DOS 6.22 iso file from bootdisks.com, downloaded the USB drivers (usbaspi .sys or aspiusb.sys or similar), configured the config.sys file and then finally burnt the iso to a CD.

That should work, I thought, but the burnt CD does NOT show config.sys or command.com! That is weird because the list of files to be burnt DOES include those two.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that a BOOTABLE CD (with the corresponding MBR) would have to include such files in order to, well, boot the PC. And the CD does boot, but I see no sign of a sign on message from the USB driver aspiusb.sys and no sign of USB recognition.

Am I right in my assumption about the MBR sucking in config.sys and command.com? Cheers.

drcspy
05-06-2007, 12:48 PM
he burnt CD does NOT show config.sys or command.com

they're most likely 'hidden'' files....

Graham L
05-06-2007, 04:28 PM
CONFIG.SYS isn't normally hidden. COMMAND .COM isn't either, I don't think. Can you read the CD from the DOS which boots? Can you do anything? COMMAND.COM is DOS ... it's the command interpreter, and contains the internal commands, so I'd imagine that it is there. ;)

The boot sector just loads the MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM and tranfers control.

You don't need CONFIG.SYS (or AUTOEXEC.BAT) to boot, but you can't have any of the functions they provide (like loading extra drivers and setting environment variables.) So you won't have the USB driver available. The CD BIOS extensions should be loaded too. (MSCDEX, and a driver for the actual device). Absence of AUTOEXEC will cause a prompt so you can enter the date and time. :D