PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot raise prices for broadband.

robbyp
03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I was viewing the new slingshot website, and noticed that for the $39.95 plan I am on, it appears that they have reduced the quota from 6GB per month, to 5GB per month, and they haven't informed their customers of this change. I though other people who use slingshot would be interested in these changes if you hadn't already noticed them.

Another thing is that their $49.95 plan used to have 25 GB of bandwidth, but this has now been reduced to 5GB, but your get 'full speed' in both directions. Not really sure if that is much of a plus for many people who downoad. You then have to pay an additional $20 to get the additional 20GB.

Also their online meter looks like it is broken.

I thought slingshot were voted the 'best isp', but making these changes without informing their cutomers is very poor.

Morpheus1
03-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I think iHug was voted best ISP.

robbyp
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I think iHug was voted best ISP.

2007 Slingshot is ISP of the year http://netguide.co.nz/Home/MagazineEvents/WebAwards/tabid/64/Default.aspx

Strommer
03-06-2007, 02:28 PM
robby, something strange is happening and I cannot be bothered ringing Slingshot's helpdesk and waiting in the queue for ages. First off, the login page is different so I had to reconfigure my login details (saved to FF). Then My Account shows I am on a plan with max of 5 Gb which is not correct, then when I click on Buy More, it shows the plan I have always had: 25 Gb max.

And I have not been notified by email of any changes to my plan.

Just used a Speed Test and I still have 256/128 so it would appear that I still have a 25 Gb cap.

robbyp, I cannot see all Slingshot broadband plans all displayed on one page, as they used to do. Can you find it?

Strommer
03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
robbyp et. al., I logged into Slingshot and entered the discussion forums and found this:

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:45 am Post subject: New broadband plans
I have noticed a bit of concern about existing customers being forcefully moved into our new plans.

This is not going to happen. You can stay on your current plan however if you change you cannot go back.

Cheers Very Happy

Myth
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
robbyp et. al., I logged into Slingshot and entered the discussion forums and found this:

I have noticed a bit of concern about existing customers being forcefully moved into our new plans.

This is not going to happen. You can stay on your current plan however if you change you cannot go back.

Cheers Very Happy

Incidentally, if they do drop me from the 25GB plan in favour of max up/down, I will be dropping Slingshot like a hot potato

stu161204
03-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Cheers Very Happy

http://forum.slingshot.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=381

Strommer
03-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Incidentally, if they do drop me from the 25GB plan in favour of max up/down, I will be dropping Slingshot like a hot potato

I will change as well, in August when my 12 month contract expires. With 25 Gb I never worry about going over the limit. Someday it will be nice to have a faster speed but for now its fine.

Strommer
03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Latest clarification on the Slingshot forum:

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:41 pm
This will not be fixed today, but it will be fixed Tuesday now the issue has been highlighted. Any accounts negatively impacted will be reversed. Customer communications are also scheduled for next week.

trinsic
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
What a silly move. Unless they were forced to then I don't see why they did it.

They are basically the same as Xtra now except you can buy data blocks.

$49.95 for 5GB MAX/128kbps

Ahh

Slingshot was forced to review our data pricing due to cost increases that were put to us by our upstream provider. We regret that this has caused slight price increases, however we are confident that we still provide great value for our customers and the best price for additional data out of any of our competitors in the market.

wmoore
03-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Don't you think the website looks horrible now. Hard to find your way around etc.
It all seemed to happen after Annette left.

stu161204
03-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Don't you think the website looks horrible now. Hard to find your way around etc.
It all seemed to happen after Annette left.

It wasn’t all that great in the first place either ;)

Myth
03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Slingshot was forced to review our data pricing due to cost increases that were put to us by our upstream provider. We regret that this has caused slight price increases, however we are confident that we still provide great value for our customers and the best price for additional data out of any of our competitors in the market.I would have preferred a slight drop (down to 15-20 GB at the same speeds) and pay the same than a huge drop (to 5GB max/max) for the same price

ronyville
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Same here, dont care about their max upload... download is ok at the moment. I just love that 25GB!!! for only $50

Morpheus1
03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
2007 Slingshot is ISP of the year http://netguide.co.nz/Home/MagazineEvents/WebAwards/tabid/64/Default.aspx

I was a year out. IHug was best ISP 2006.

robbyp
03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I was a year out. IHug was best ISP 2006.

It seems that after they are voted ISP of the year, they do something stupid. I believe ihug raised their prices lat year too after being ISP of the year.

Looks like I will be switching to xnet, I was looking for a reason to switch anyway. I hope xnet aren't named ISP of the year in 2008, and then do something stupid to annoy their current customers, like slingshot have done. Fancy not telling your customers before changing the plans.

rob_on_guitar
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Since last week I had no trouble with Slingshot, now it has just shot itself in the foot. I beleive my contract finishes next month so I too will leave Slingshot if they change my account.:illogical

Myth
04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I opted for the no contract (and slightly dearer tolls - I don't make many anyway) so as soon as I am advised, I will change soon after

pheonix
04-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Likewise for me too. I am on the unlimited plan...so far. I really should change to a cheaper plan as the traffic has averaged about 6 to 8Gigs per month.
I have emailed them asking the question, and if they are moving people onto the 5gig plan, it's off to xnet.
Just moving my email to a gmail address as to enable an easy transition from one ISP to another.

rogerp
04-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Likewise for me too. I am on the unlimited plan...so far. I really should change to a cheaper plan as the traffic has averaged about 6 to 8Gigs per month.
I have emailed them asking the question, and if they are moving people onto the 5gig plan, it's off to xnet.
Just moving my email to a gmail address as to enable an easy transition from one ISP to another.

They are keeping people on the old plans, apparently. However if you cahnge plans you can't gop back to an old one. Some people will actually be better off with the new plans, but I wonder if they will automatically move these people to the new plans, I doubt it.

echothreezero
04-06-2007, 07:49 PM
What do you all think of Orcon?

Myth
04-06-2007, 08:28 PM
They are keeping people on the old plans, apparently. However if you cahnge plans you can't gop back to an old one....Surely the bell will toll for those of us on the old plans, and we will be asked to move eventually.

What do you all think of Orcon?Its one of 3 options I am looking at moving to, the other 2 being Xnet and Telstra

rogerp
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Surely the bell will toll for those of us on the old plans, and we will be asked to move eventually.
Its one of 3 options I am looking at moving to, the other 2 being Xnet and Telstra

Once unbundling takes effect, then broadband should be cheaper, and bandwidth cheaper too. That is unless Slingshot/Callplus were telling us all porkies when they were lobbying the government before unbundling took effect.