PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop; Newbee problem

bugalugs67
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Just started with photoshop 7 and am trying to separate and save an object from its background. I have a photo of a oval photo on a pink backdrop. I can separate the photo but i can't get rid of the background and save just the oval photo. I want to print just the oval photo on the front of a personal birthday card. (using Word)

Any help will be appreciated>

R.M.
02-06-2007, 05:53 PM
That can be a little complex - I'll try to keep it simple. Use Magic Wand - click on pink area (make sure tolerance is 10%), then go to Select, Inverse. That will have your photo. Now open a New file (make sure it is the right size with the right background -white is good, and with the appropriate pixels (300 is ok, or less if you want). Now go back to your photo, go to Move (V) and move the photo onto the white new file. Now you can save this as a .jpg file. Crop if you want/need, and you can use as you would any other .jpg file.:)

winmacguy
02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
there are a couple of ways of doing that. One of them is
You can use the pen tool and make a clipping path around the oval and save the selection.

Also if you can afford it, get a copy of Commercial Photoshop by Bert Monroy. I have 2 of his books and they are like bibles.

bugalugs67
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Brilliant - Thank you for that....So much to learn - So little time :)

winmacguy
02-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Brilliant - Thank you for that....So much to learn - So little time :)

I had 10 weeks learning Photoshop and said the same thing. I still have Photoshop 7.

Morpheus1
03-06-2007, 07:58 AM
then go to Select, Inverse.

Never have used Inverse. Is this better than copy and paste into a New File white image?

R.M.
03-06-2007, 08:08 AM
As said above - there are various ways of doing most things. At the end of the day - what works for you! Nothing is more 'right' or 'better'. :)

winmacguy
03-06-2007, 10:13 AM
As said above - there are various ways of doing most things. At the end of the day - what works for you! Nothing is more 'right' or 'better'. :)

Agreed. In Photoshop there is no "right" way, just any one of 10 ways that works best for you.

bugalugs67
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes but......as an occasional user you can thrash around for hours, knowing it can be done but not quite getting the right sequence. RTFM is an option until you come up against all that jargon....and if you skip some ! !

zqwerty
03-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Best way to learn is for someone else to show you how they do it.

winmacguy
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes but......as an occasional user you can thrash around for hours, knowing it can be done but not quite getting the right sequence. RTFM is an option until you come up against all that jargon....and if you skip some ! !

Or get a really good book like the Bert Monroy or Photoshop Wow series and then try and spend a bit of time playing around getting to know a couple of ways of doing things. That helped me a lot since Photoshop can get overwhelming if your not careful.