PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have USB or USB2

Dick
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
How can I tell if my USB ports are USB or USB2?

My computer has 4 USB ports on the rear and two on the front. It is an AMD Athalon 64 running Windows XP.

When I look at the configuration it shows -
IRQ Usage Summary (PCI)21
4 x VIA Rev5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
1 x VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

I am fairly sure when it boots up just prior to starting Windows I can see a list showing 4 x USB ports and 1 USB2. If that is the case - how can I figure out which physical plug is the USB2 one. Also why are there 6 plugs but only seem to be 5 configured?

Any help appreciated.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, it would appear that there is only 1 USB2 (1 x VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller) as to which USB port that is, I am not sure you will just have to try plugging a USB2 device into all of them till one does not say this device is USB2 and can perform faster or something to that effect

Plug a USB device into all USB ports and which one does not pick up the device will be the one that is not setup... (possibly the front)

What is your motherboard?

BTW welcome to PF1 :)

Cicero
02-06-2007, 06:53 PM
How can I tell if my USB ports are USB or USB2?

My computer has 4 USB ports on the rear and two on the front. It is an AMD Athalon 64 running Windows XP.

When I look at the configuration it shows -
IRQ Usage Summary (PCI)21
4 x VIA Rev5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
1 x VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

I am fairly sure when it boots up just prior to starting Windows I can see a list showing 4 x USB ports and 1 USB2. If that is the case - how can I figure out which physical plug is the USB2 one. Also why are there 6 plugs but only seem to be 5 configured?

Any help appreciated.
If the computer is under 2 years old then it will have USB2 all round.
Or you could download "Belarc" and it will tell you what what computer is made of.

CYaBro
03-06-2007, 01:43 AM
If it is an AMD Athlon64 CPU they will all be USB 2.0 ports.

Just watch the front USB ports as some cheaper cases have crappy cables for them and you don't always get USB 2.0 on them.