PDA

View Full Version : External Harddrive Purchase

Rossini
02-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi everyone,
I want to buy an 250G external harddrive to back up my work. What's the best make to get, the easiest to use, and how will I have to pay? Cheers.

Tony.br
02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Several choices

Seagate and Western Digital both make them and are excellent

Or you buy an empty carrier (they are available everywhere for $50 - $70) and fit whatever drive you like

Bantu
02-06-2007, 09:44 AM
There are several prople selling them on trademe Some come with various size hard drive some you put your own hard drive into.

just search hard drive enclosure

I have got 3 off there one is ATA and USB only and the other SATA/ATA and usb/firewire They came with all the cables required and just a few screws to add in a hard drive.

Best to get a 3.5" one as you can put a bigger HDD into it, the 2.5 onces are only laptop size drives.

Windows XP comes with backup software, or just copy what you want to them or there are plenty of backup software on the net.

Sweep
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone,
I want to buy an 250G external harddrive to back up my work. What's the best make to get, the easiest to use, and how will I have to pay? Cheers.

It depends. You just may get a 300Gig external from Countdown (Maxtor) with whatever software. What is easy for you may be more difficult for others.

What is easy?

"How will I have to pay?" Possibly cash, credit card, hire purchase, get Mother and Father to buy for a birthday.

Possibly you should ask "What will the item cost?"

Might be interesting to know your operating system and what hardware you have at the moment.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-06-2007, 10:45 AM
There has been many threads about external HDDs on here, search and you shall find all the information that was given to all those threads...

Rossini
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
:eek: I missed 'much' out. Should be 'how much will I have to pay?' I was nervous as it was my first post on here and I was worried my question was trivial and would be treated with impatience. Thanks for the suggestions. I will search.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Heh, I am sure everyone would have picked up on that...

There is no need to be nervous :p PF1 is a very friendy forum :D