PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want free hosting

Host Monster
01-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Hey guys I need to test out my server for hosting so need a few people on it to test its stability.

If anyones keen feel free to let me know im looking for around 4 people. The free hosting will be for 1 month after that you can continue with the hosting by paying the monthly fee.

Space: 500mb
Bandwidth: 10,000mb

Cheers Guys

The_End_Of_Reality
01-06-2007, 10:45 PM
You do realise posting to promote a service or product that you run/own is against the rules here? unless it has been given the OK by the mods/admins which I am guessing that this has not...

8) No commercial posting, spamming, or otherwise using the forum to promote products and services purely for your own gain. This doesn't stop you recommending products and services to other users, nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post. But users who post purely to promote their business/website may find their threads deleted along with their user ID. from here (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243)

Host Monster
01-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I havent provided any link to my site so am not promoting it. All im looking for is some tester. If the mods do find this thread to be breaking the rules then by all means delete it.

rogerp
01-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I havent provided any link to my site so am not promoting it. All im looking for is some tester. If the mods do find this thread to be breaking the rules then by all means delete it.

It probably doesn't matter. You are effectively offering/promoting a hosting service with a free month to begin with, where you are hoping that someone will continue to use you after that 1st month. I think most people will see that your username is your website address.

gcarmich
01-06-2007, 11:46 PM
How much bandwidth to the internet is available, where physically are the hosting machines, nz, us or elsewhere. How long will you be holding the current prices for ?

Host Monster
01-06-2007, 11:53 PM
It probably doesn't matter. You are effectively offering/promoting a hosting service with a free month to begin with, where you are hoping that someone will continue to use you after that 1st month. I think most people will see that your username is your website address.

Hmmm I see I wish I could edit my first post but seems I can't I only said that people could continue with the hosting to prevent questions about continuing being asked.

I apoligize please people dont ask about costs etc I do not want to talk about it in this thread or site.

If your interested in testing then please pm me ill probably set up a free web plan anyways.

Myth
02-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I see nothing wrong with the first post... all this guy is asking for is testers for a month. Thereafter you can become a client if you want. No link was dropped, no prices mentioned.
How is it any different from other members dropping links to test their software, or look at their site?

johcar
02-06-2007, 01:02 AM
....Hmmm. Domain has been around since 1999.... Looks to be an existing business to my untrained eye... Don't know why an existing business of 8 years would need 'testers' in the form of test clients. That's what Test Analysts (like me!) are for!

Greg
02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
I see nothing wrong with the first post... He's spamming the forum for his own commercial purposes, pure and simple, no matter how subtle he tries to make it.

Instead of encouraging the ******** tell him to do some proper work and market his business ethically.

Myth
02-06-2007, 01:07 AM
He's spamming the forum for his own commercial purposes, pure and simple, no matter how subtle he tries to make it.

Instead of encouraging the ******** tell him to do some proper work and market his business ethically.ROTFL
You talking about ethics? This reminds me of a certain pot and kettle

Greg
02-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Remind us then.

johcar
02-06-2007, 01:27 AM
He's spamming the forum for his own commercial purposes, pure and simple, no matter how subtle he tries to make it.

Instead of encouraging the ******** tell him to do some proper work and market his business ethically.I think the word you're looking for here is 'disingenuous' rather than 'subtle', Greg :)

The_End_Of_Reality
02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
He's spamming the forum for his own commercial purposes, pure and simple, no matter how subtle he tries to make it. Exactly, that is the way I see it... He might not have provided links or prices, but he has said that it is HIS hosting server and that it will cost after the 1st month, I consider this to be Commercial posting to promote a service for his own gain :2cents:

Host Monster
02-06-2007, 10:32 AM
....Hmmm. Domain has been around since 1999.... Looks to be an existing business to my untrained eye... Don't know why an existing business of 8 years would need 'testers' in the form of test clients. That's what Test Analysts (like me!) are for!

I believe you have the incorrect domain. I think most of you will. I am not spamming my services as I havent even provided a link. I only said testers could pay after the test phase because they may want to keep the account and I didn't want to answer continous questions about it later on so I tried to save myself the trouble if having to, clearly that didn't work very well.

I thought the aim was very clear I need a few testers thats it.

The_End_Of_Reality
02-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Hows about we get a Mod in here to sort it out as to what they think?

robbyp
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM

Try the dot co dot nz version, it was registered on 22-5-07.

They do have a website that is currently offering plans for sale, so I am unsure why a business is selling a service to the public if the service hasn't yet been tested.

To me it looks like a kiddie host, which is a hosting company that is setup by a teenager. They don't usually last longer than a year, as the webhosting market is already totally saturated, and it is a very difficult market to make a dollar in. Hence marketing it in a public forum (even if the poster claims that they didn't post the domain name, their usename tells you the website). Also who wants free web hosting for only a month, if you are testing something for someone, you would probably expect hosting for a year free to compensate for the testing.

Myth
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Also who wants free web hosting for only a month, if you are testing something for someone, you would probably expect hosting for a year free to compensate for the testing.Thats like saying that because one was a beta tester for Vista, one should get it free. Never gonna happen

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
My personal thoughts are that this is a no-go... but I'd rather get the opinion of Jen or Bruce first.

Realistically, the guys here are right, test it yourself...

Search for exploits in every version of software that you're running, run stress-test software on the server, ask about how you've specifically setup Apache or IIS, but this sounds a bit like dodgy marketing tactics to me.

Go down to the local school / Uni and offer its students a free website, that sounds like a better idea!

rogerp
02-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Thats like saying that because one was a beta tester for Vista, one should get it free. Never gonna happen

Actually a lot of beta testers of Vista did get a copy of Vista Ultimate for free, once the final version was released.

Chilling_Silence
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Matches the 'baby' plan on that site mentioned... User banned, try again next time.

I'll delete the thread when I have a lil more time 2moz, in a real rush right now..