PDA

View Full Version : Finding Outlook Express???

boss62
01-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Another question....:waughh:

After compacting files in outlook express, I am now unable to open it. It was coming up with 'Error code 0x800700c1'. It also comes up with MSOE.dll could not be initialized. I tried searching for MSOE.dll, but nothing came up.

Can anyone help??? Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Take your pick (http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=MSOE.dll+could+not+be+initialized)

boss62
01-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your quick response, however could not find anything that helped in this situation.

*.dbx files were mentioned, so I did a search of these and nothing came up. could this be the problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Speedy Gonzales
01-06-2007, 10:11 PM
That error code looks like its also having a prob with the licence (http://www.mcse.ms/message762180.html) on that computer.

Try the above fix see if it fixes it.

boss62
02-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Me again:waughh:

I did a system restore to see if I could fix my outlook express problem....when that didn't work i restored back to today. Now, however, I can only open half my programs and the desktop is very unstable. Cannot open control panel at all. When I try and open IE it asks me what program I want to use to open it. I had also defraged the computer before restoring. I have avast listed in my programs on the start up menu, however nothing is in the file. Cannot open system restore, it comes up empty. Can anyone help???:dogeye:

Tony.br
03-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Have you tried a non destructive repair using the Windows XP CD

I have used that a number of times in the past and found it often will cure it.

BUT Backup any vital data files first.. Things like Address Book, My Documents folder, Favorites, OE DBX files etc etc etc

Of course this is the last resort :dogeye:

Speedy Gonzales
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Have you tried a non destructive repair using the Windows XP CD

I have used that a number of times in the past and found it often will cure it.

BUT Backup any vital data files first.. Things like Address Book, My Documents folder, Favorites, OE DBX files etc etc etc

Of course this is the last resort :dogeye:

I think thats what the problem is, OE doesnt open. So, how is he meant to get whats in the address book etc?? If he has to open OE.

I would just re-install IE 6 SP1 or 7, or whatever version is already installed. That may fix it. Wouldnt that include whatever for OE??

Safari
03-06-2007, 08:13 AM
For the OE problem have a look here.
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

Tony.br
03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
I think thats what the problem is, OE doesnt open. So, how is he meant to get whats in the address book etc?? If he has to open OE.

I would just re-install IE 6 SP1 or 7, or whatever version is already installed. That may fix it. Wouldnt that include whatever for OE??

Highly likely it may, but problems like that sometimes indicate a greater problem.

Another thought came to mind that I would try SFC (System file checker)

START > and enter "SFC /scannow" without the quotes

As to saving Address book.. First open my computer > tools > folder options > View then change the setting to "show hidden files and folders" and untick "Hide extensions for known file types"

Use Windows Explorer to goto... documents and settings > "whatever user name is" > application data > microsoft > address book

save the files in that folder

To save Emails

Use Windows Explorer to goto... documents and settings > "whatever user name is" > local settings > identities and burrow dont the levels to find OUTLOOK EXPRESS and save all the DBX and other files in that folder

I do exactly that along with other important data on a daily basis using a Batch File that I wrote.

boss62
03-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions...however I cannot open anything other than word, excel ect. When I try and open 'My Computer' the desktop loses all icons and then comes back to desktop. Same with any other system icons I try to open. Haven't got the XP cd, so will take it back to the guy who I bought it off and get him to have a look at it.

Again, thanks and will let you know the outcome of it all.

BTW...I'm a girl!! Lol:p

Tony.br
03-06-2007, 03:00 PM
BTW...I'm a girl!! Lol:p

We won't hold that against you :D

As I suspected, problems with outlook express are just a sympton of a much deeper problem. This is where the repair option may have fixed it.

As a matter of interest, what brand was the computer and was it new or second hand when you purchased it?

Some computers like HP / COMPAQ have the System Files in a hidden partition on the Hard drive.

boss62
05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to let you guys know that the problem is fixed :)

I got hold of XP CD and repaired my computer using that (myself!!). Lost some of my data including Outlook Address Book.....but that's only minor.

Thank you all so much for your help, I couldn't have done it without you! :p :p

boss62
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
We won't hold that against you :D

As I suspected, problems with outlook express are just a sympton of a much deeper problem. This is where the repair option may have fixed it.

As a matter of interest, what brand was the computer and was it new or second hand when you purchased it?

Some computers like HP / COMPAQ have the System Files in a hidden partition on the Hard drive.

The computer is a COMPAQ and it was bought for me by a friend, so not sure if new or not. It looks like new condition.

BTW....thanks for not holding it against me!!!:)