PDA

View Full Version : Backup Program on the fly?

turtle63
01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi, could anyone reccomend a good backup program that will back up your hard drive while your working on it (on the fly) but that would continuously do that so at the end of the day you can unplug that external drive where the backups are stored and take it off site, knowing that your backed up to the minute when you turned your computer off.

I have looked at Symantec's Symantec Backup Exec which looks ok but i don't think there are enough restore points for what this guy wants.
Ghost would work fine but he wants it done continuously, a bit like a Rai array i guess but that is a bit overboard for him.
He also wants to have certain folders backup as well..

Any help apreciated. :waughh:

davehartley
01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Don't know about "continuously," but Microsoft's Sync Toy will synchronise the files between the HDD and an external one ... maybe run it before shutting down? Also gives you the option of backing up individual folders as well. Download it here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en)

turtle63
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Looks interesting, I hadn't thought about syncing files, guess thats why I posted here :) Will have a good look. Thanks

CYaBro
02-06-2007, 01:48 AM
You want something like this. (http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/)
It is an awesome program.
I use the IT version almost every day to backup customers machines.
You should be able to pick up a copy for about $125 inc GST

Tony.br
02-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Google the term SECOND CHANCE

turtle63
03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
There is plenty there about pet adoption but I fail to see backup software or similar, perhaps I am going blind? Maybe you could post a link?

turtle63
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Could you set this program to run constantly in the background as this is what this guy wants preferrably. Thought Ghost might have worked for him but no.. Looks like a good program tho.

TGoddard
03-06-2007, 05:51 PM
If this is for a machine which is shut down at the end of the day you could have RAID 1 between an internal end external drive. This will both improve reading speed on the machine since it can read from both drives at once and means that you can take the external disk away at the end of the day. You must however shut down the computer before unplugging the external drive and plug it back in before starting so the drives stay in sync.

turtle63
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Yes it is for a machine that is shut down at the end of the day.
How would you set up a Raid set up? He has 2 hard drives and I have just got him to get an external drive which is used for backups mainly.

CYaBro
03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Did you have a look at the StorageCraft Desktop Edition link I posted?

pheonix
04-06-2007, 02:41 PM
A good free Synchronizing software is Allsync (http://allwaysync.com/)

TGoddard
07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm not familiar with RAID on Windows sorry. Anybody else?