PDA

View Full Version : Firefox no go.

pine-o-cleen
26-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I keep getting "The connection has timed out" in Firefox, where as internet explorer is working fine.

Checked firewall settings, they are all good. Not sure what other info to give.

Help! Please :D

Sweep
26-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I keep getting "The connection has timed out" in Firefox, where as internet explorer is working fine.

Checked firewall settings, they are all good. Not sure what other info to give.

Help! Please :D

Should I go back through your other posts? More info needed for me.

Safari
26-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Check this.
Tools/Options
General Tab/ Connection Settings
Check you have Direct Connection to the internet selected.

The_End_Of_Reality
26-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Try reinstalling FF

Sweep
26-05-2007, 03:39 PM
If your version of IE works then just use it.

Otherwise buy a Mac and install Windows.
Then try to install drivers.....

Or go open source and use Unix/Linux.....

Sorry pine-o-clean. I can't help at the moment.

I have got to the stage where I feel this web site has problems.

Jen
26-05-2007, 04:04 PM
If your version of IE works then just use it.

Otherwise buy a Mac and install Windows.
Then try to install drivers.....

Or go open source and use Unix/Linux.....

Sorry pine-o-clean. I can't help at the moment.

I have got to the stage where I feel this web site has problems.But you felt the overwhelming need to make that strange post?:rolleyes:

Have you installed any new extensions lately? What happens if you start in safe mode? It really does sound like a firewall issue. Have you tried turning off the firewall long enough to test Firefox?

winmacguy
26-05-2007, 04:16 PM
I have got to the stage where I feel this web site has problems.

Have you come off your meds Sweep?

SurferJoe46
26-05-2007, 04:18 PM
If you are not living near the place where F1 originates, like I am in Southern California, sometimes I too time out..and I run a very fast DSL connex.

It is usually a problem in NZ somewhere..maybe an ocean liner dropped an anchor on the cable again...or something silly like the server is swamped.

Try to use F1 via Firefox...I don't believe that anyone should use Internet Explorer for anything...as rife as it is to problems with things like ActiveX and such...just stay safe and wait a while..the moon will pass overhead and the connection speed will clear up somehow.

It always has.

Now, if you want to talk about how 2/3rds of the screen is blank.and your smilies are off to the right hand column and cover the box you write in......well, there's a whole chat about that going on right now.....but not right here.

Sweep
26-05-2007, 04:31 PM

If IE works then why use FF?

Sweep
26-05-2007, 04:37 PM
If you are not living near the place where F1 originates, like I am in Southern California, sometimes I too time out..and I run a very fast DSL connex.

It is usually a problem in NZ somewhere..maybe an ocean liner dropped an anchor on the cable again...or something silly like the server is swamped.

Try to use F1 via Firefox...I don't believe that anyone should use Internet Explorer for anything...as rife as it is to problems with things like ActiveX and such...just stay safe and wait a while..the moon will pass overhead and the connection speed will clear up somehow.

It always has.

Now, if you want to talk about how 2/3rds of the screen is blank.and your smilies are off to the right hand column and cover the box you write in......well, there's a whole chat about that going on right now.....but not right here.

But I live in NZ. I take it that the Sun will rise in the East and set in the West where you are?

winmacguy
26-05-2007, 04:38 PM
If IE works then why use FF?

Because you get a lot less crap finding its way on to Windows with FF than with IE. FF is also a much better browser. I use both the PC and Mac versions.

beeswax34
26-05-2007, 05:21 PM
FF is a 100 times better, faster and safer than IE. Plus you can add heaps of good extensions etc.

pine-o-cleen
26-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I use Firefox because I like the way its set up, tabbed browsing is easier than in internet explorer.

The network settings were ''Direct Connect'. I haven't installed any extensions. I will try reinstalling and see what happens.

Sweep
26-05-2007, 06:21 PM
But you felt the overwhelming need to make that strange post?:rolleyes:

I do not think I made a strange post. I wanted more information.
Go fix the Firefox problem yourself then. Without asking questions. As you have access. I do not have time to go through all pine-o-cleens' posts to find whether he/she runs what. I have no idea what O/S this person runs.

Have you installed any new extensions lately? What happens if you start in safe mode? It really does sound like a firewall issue. Have you tried turning off the firewall long enough to test Firefox?

Oh. Questions about extentions.

Sweep
26-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I use Firefox because I like the way its set up, tabbed browsing is easier than in internet explorer.

The network settings were ''Direct Connect'. I haven't installed any extensions. I will try reinstalling and see what happens.

Well do so. As I have no idea what Hardware and Software you have I was wanting feedback. This without checking your other posts.

Keep on using FF in the event a person here will actually help. This if a person gets FireFox going.

Your connection timed out? But IE works? Are you using dialup or ADSL?

Sweep
27-05-2007, 10:21 AM

I take it that you are talking about medication. Only possibly as I do not know.

As far as I am am aware pine-o-cleen has not come back to let the posters here what advice helped if any.

SurferJoe46
27-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Well do so. As I have no idea what Hardware and Software you have I was wanting feedback. This without checking your other posts.

Keep on using FF in the event a person here will actually help. This if a person gets FireFox going.

Your connection timed out? But IE works? Are you using dialup or ADSL?

C'mon, Sweep...FF is running very well for me, and I bet a lot of others too. I run it on Mepis, Ubuntu and of course Windows..right now..on this page I am using it to get to F1 while I am operating on XP....so there! :p

IE is so fraught with problems...and it may NOT be IE's fault..it's just the black hats that want to bring M$ down a few pegs and users get the peripheral damage.

As a user of FF, I can truly say that anyone with a blind attitude against FF has to go some to prove their point to me.

Just be fair and see for yourself that many...I bet MOST here use FF..and if you want proof, set up a poll..although I bet it's been asked many times b4.

(Eww...did I just text the word "before"?)

If you like, I can enroll you in the SurferJoe's School Of Kind Words and Short Statements.

I have an opening or two available for students who...er...nevermind. :xmouth: