PDA

View Full Version : Internet Gateway problem!!!

Chris815
25-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Please help me, I have been stuck with this infuriating problem since last Friday.

I use uTorrent which is a Bittorent program, for downloading LEGAL stuff, so don't worry.
Last Friday I encountered a problem when it kept asking me to open a port to allow incoming connections. I spent a long time trying to sort it out, and the problem was that the port I was using in uTorrent was different to the one in the Internet Gateway network connection.
So I used the port in Internet Gateway and replaced the one in uTorrent with it. Everything became fine! The connections were working normally.

On Monday I went on and for some reason the problem was back, and the connections were low. I thought something might have changed in the Internet Gateway settings, so I went and looked in the Network Connections folder only to find this:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1239/ntwrkconwh3.jpg

No sign of the Internet Gateway! What has happened to it? It seems I cannot get normal connections again until I can access IG.

PLEASE please please someone help me! This is driving me crazy trying to find out what's going on. Everything has been perfectly fine in the past, and Windows Firewall has never bothered it (as uTorrent is in the Exceptions list).

I need to find out what to do, and I'll answer any questions I can! Port Forwarding is not really an option, because I don't have access to the Wireless Router I'm using (Linksys WRT54GL) and I haven't needed it before.

Thank you!

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2007, 06:51 PM
First thing u have to figure out is why is the main connection (the cable) disabled?

Chris815
25-05-2007, 06:59 PM
First thing u have to figure out is why is the main connection (the cable) disabled?

Oh, that's just because I am not connected directly to the router. I'm on a wireless network.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2007, 07:08 PM
This internet gateway you're talking about.

This PC you're on I take it, its not the main PC thats connected to the net??

I get this Internet Gateway icon on here, even tho Im on dialup, all it is, is it tells u how long the PC has been connected for.

So, is this what was there before but has now disappeared?

And depending on whether the main PC has been configured, so other people can change the settings in it, you dont see much anyway.

Chris815
25-05-2007, 07:35 PM
This internet gateway you're talking about.

This PC you're on I take it, its not the main PC thats connected to the net??

I get this Internet Gateway icon on here, even tho Im on dialup, all it is, is it tells u how long the PC has been connected for.

So, is this what was there before but has now disappeared?

And depending on whether the main PC has been configured, so other people can change the settings in it, you dont see much anyway.

No, this is not the main PC. I am on Wireless that uses the main PC to connect to the internet (which is what I thought the Internet Gateway was).

It used to be there, and it is what I used to fix the port problem in uTorrent.

The main PC may have been configured recently, but I'm not sure. Does it have anything to do with UPnP?

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2007, 09:24 PM
The main PC may have been configured recently, but I'm not sure. Does it have anything to do with UPnP?

Wouldnt have a clue if Upnp has anything to do with it, I'm not on cable or BB.

No, the wireless connection as it says in the pic u posted, is the PCI adapter.

I dont think the port for Utorrent has or had anything to do with the Internet gateway, if this was also in network connections.

Chris815
25-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Wouldnt have a clue if Upnp has anything to do with it, I'm not on cable or BB.

No, the wireless connection as it says in the pic u posted, is the PCI adapter.

I dont think the port for Utorrent has or had anything to do with the Internet gateway, if this was also in network connections.

Really? Well in that case I don't have any idea what's going on. I just thought it had something to do with that as the last time I managed to fix uTorrent, the Internet Gateway was in Net. Connections.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Only other thing I can think of, is if u have XP SP2, is add the ports for Utorrent under XP's firewall (in exceptions).

If no other firewalls are installed anywhere else.

Chris815
26-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Yep, already done that.

What about the router's settings? Could that be affecting it?

Speedy Gonzales
26-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Didn't u say there were no wireless router/s in the first post??

So, are u using a wireless router or not.

Tell us EXACTLY what's connected, how many PC's on this network, whether you're using a wireless router or what.

And if there are any other firewalls (besides XP's) installed on any of these PC's.

Chris815
26-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Didn't u say there were no wireless router/s in the first post??

So, are u using a wireless router or not.

Tell us EXACTLY what's connected, how many PC's on this network, whether you're using a wireless router or what.

And if there are any other firewalls (besides XP's) installed on any of these PC's.

Okay, I'll make it clear.

I am on one of two computers (the other being a laptop) on a wireless router network which uses the main PC to connect to the internet.

Both my computer and the laptop go through the Linksys WRT54GL router and that's how they connect to the internet. Both connections are secure, we have proper password security and all that.

There are no other firewalls on my PC besides the standard Windows Firewall (which has uTorrent in its Exceptions list). The same goes for the laptop and main PC.

As I said previously, this is the first time I've encountered any problems with uTorrent and ports, so I don't know that much about them. All I know is that when I last had a problem, it was just because port I had in uTorrent was different to the port open in the Internet Gateway in Network Connections. Now, I cannot check to see if it has changed again because the IG is not coming up.

jeromekeating
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
You may have turned off your router's UPnP service. Go back into the router configuration and look for a setting to enable UPnP.

It's funny - I've been searching for a way to get rid of the icon because for as long as I can remember, the icon was never there when I did fresh reformats. I found out today that the icon had something to do with UPnP so I realized it might be like those other icons that show up automatically when xp discovers UPnP devices on the network. I disabled my UPnP feature on the router and within seconds the icon disappeared from network connections.