PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost 2003 Image to CDR

Krad
25-05-2007, 09:30 AM
When writing Hard Drive image backup to CDR an error occurs on the second or third disc. Have gone through 7 CD's so far! I was using ghost.exe from the installed Norton Systemworks 2003 (Norton Ghost -Ghost Basic - Backup) but I also have a floppy Ghost boot up disc which I have used to verify the first disc before the error kicked in on the second disc. Any suggestions?
(Pentium 3 600 mhz, Windows 98SE, 256 mb RAM, 80GB HD) 7.6GB on HD used.

pctek
25-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Whats the exact error you get?

bk T
25-05-2007, 05:15 PM
I think it's a compatibility problem with certain CD writers. If this is the case, not much we can do about it other than putting in another CD writer compatible with Ghost 2003. I think this is mentioned in the user manual.

Just a matter of interests, how to make the computer boots from Ghost rather than Windows when Windows is badly corrupted. I saw this in a friend's computer where there is an option just before loading Windows (just like having a dual boot pc where you have the option to choose 1. Windows Prof ; 2. Windows Home (just for example); in this case, 1. Windows Professional ; 2. Norton Ghost

Got a chance to look at his boot.ini file and found that there is a line something like this: C:\GHLD="1 Key Ghost 8.2 Build 05706"

It would be very handy if we can load Ghost to recover the system in this manner.

I don't think Norton Ghost 2003 has this feature; don't know about Ghost 8.

Has anyone come across this and know how to do it?

Cheers

Tony.br
26-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Why not use an external HD and a boot CD to recover the image when needed

I use ACRONIS this way and it has saved my skin twice so far

bk T
26-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Why not use an external HD and a boot CD to recover the image when needed

I use ACRONIS this way and it has saved my skin twice so far

If we can make use of the existing HDD, why not? Just like some manufacturers who put their recovery file in the HDD which make life much easier. Quite a number of manufacturers are using Ghost to create this recovery image on the HDD. Of course, it is always good to have an external backup just in case the HDD dies.

I think it is not going to be a rocket science technology to accomplish this task, but I don't know how (and where) to start. Have googled but produced very little results. It will be great if someone in this Forum can share his /her experiences in this area with us.

Cheers

Tony.br
26-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I started with an 80gb main drive and an external USB drive carrier fitted with an old 20gb drive.

I used a specially written Batch File (still do) to write all my changable and important data to the external drive. I should mention I am a DOS HEAD from way back.

Then I bought a copy of ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE and wrote an image file to the 20gb on a weekly basis. The Batch file is run every day and this is my daily backup. However there are plenty of free backup programs that will do the job, just not as automated as my system.

I recently changed to a 160 gb main drive and the 80 gb has become my backup and of course acronis cloned the drive for me.

I now keep about 5 or 6 weekly image files that are dated. This proved a life saver when I discovered a bug but not until I had created the weekly image file.

I was able to revert to the backup created a week earlier then restore my daily backup files.

Krad
26-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I have an ACER CD Rom drive (6x4x32)that came with the PC Co. computer - it probably an OEM edition. How can I find which model it is so I can check its compatibility with Ghost 2003?

bk T
26-05-2007, 07:41 PM
If I remember correctly, you can find a list of compatible CD/DVD recorders in the user manual. Go through the user manual once more and see whether I remember correctly?