PDA

View Full Version : Multiple XP Operating Systems

bacon01
20-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I have 2 Drives, one is a partitioned drive (C Drive) which originally had Win XP Home loaded on it and a second physical drive (F Drive) which has Win XP Pro loaded.
The second OS installation was supposed to be loaded on C drive but was mistakenly loaded on F Drive.
I want to delete the OS on the F Drive and when the PC starts to load the OS from the C Drive. How do I do this?

One of the options I was told was to go into

control panel -> system -> advanced -> startup and recovery

in the drop down box it states

Default Operating System:
"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

There is no option to tell the location of this Operating System.
In the "Edit Startup options file manually" option, the following comes up in the Windows Notebook:

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Can you please tell me where I might change where the OS location boots from.
Thanks in advance.

chiefnz
20-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Unplug the 2nd hard drive and then boot your computer with the Windows XP Home CD...

When it appears select the "Recovery Console" option.

Select the appropriate Windows installation and enter the password.

Once you have done this successfully...

type "fixmbr" (without quotes)

It will ask are you sure, confirm your choice and then press "Enter" I think it is.

This will write a new mbr to your hard drive and should boot your Windows XP Home OS. If that works you can just format the hard drive with Windows XP Pro on it.

Just as an aside to this.... if you're experimenting with a new OS it is better to install it separately on its own hard drive without using a boot loader. That way when you've had enough you can just format the disk and carry on. I did that with Linux and XP and with Vista as well.

My mobo has an option where you can choose a boot device by pressing F8 on POST, not sure if every other mobo has this function (I have seen it in quite a few of them) but it is quite handy for multiple OS's.

Cheers