18-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi all

i have a problem or 2

Machine 1
XP Pro

Machine 2
win 2K

the problem is Shared folders and resources

We have a printer that is connected to the windows 2K machine and is shared so the XP machine can print
The problem is that some days it works fine and other days the XP machine can't find the printer or access any shared folders on the 2k machine when i try to access the folders it gives me the access denied yada yada message (sorry for that i can't remember off the top of my head and it seems o be working now), and then i can go to the machine 20minutes later and it all works fine

The computers are less than a foot apart the cable are fine the hub is fine, i have swapped all these out at various times, i really just don't get it

This problem has only happened since we took the printer off the XP machine (dead harddrive), but i installed the drivers correctly on the 2k machine and it has no probs and the XP machine is now a fresh install (well 2 months ago)

I would stick the printer on the XP machine but it has only one USB port and that is being used, (I had always thought comps had at least 2 USB ports)

so anyhelp would be appreciated

and i will
look at it in the morning

Jayess64
20-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi all

i have a problem or 2

Machine 1
XP Pro

Machine 2
win 2K

the problem is Shared folders and resources

We have a printer that is connected to the windows 2K machine and is shared so the XP machine can print
The problem is that some days it works fine and other days the XP machine can't find the printer or access any shared folders on the 2k machine when i try to access the folders it gives me the access denied yada yada message (sorry for that i can't remember off the top of my head and it seems o be working now), and then i can go to the machine 20minutes later and it all works fine

This is what it says on p.937 of Windows XP Inside Out (Microsoft Press):
"Allow time for network icons to appear

...But as a general rule, on a local network, you shouldn't have to wait longer than 24 minutes, and usually no more than 12 minutes, for the icons for network computers to appear in My Network Places folder. If your network contains some remote segments, these periods may stretch out to 36 or 48 minutes...

"If you can't wait, then use the UNC name or IP address of the other computer and connect directly. If the other computer is named Harpo, for instance, and the Shared Document folder is using its default name, you can connect to it directly by typing \\harpo\SharedDocs in the Run box."

It worked for me.

Morgenmuffel
21-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I tried that but i got the access denied message still

But currently (or at least 5 minutes ago),

******edit
Just to make the following clearer
the shared folders are located on the 2K machine as is the printer
on the xp machine when i go to my network places --> local network etc
the icons for all the shared folders on the 2k machine appear within a minute but clicking on any of them gives me an access denied message,

HOWEVER, (only just found this out)
If i print a file while I am using the windows 2K machine, the network problems on the XP machine vanish and i can print from the XP machine, view the shared folders from the XP machine etc

So that is making me even more confused

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2007, 09:26 PM
What about firewalls?

What folders did u share on 2K?? Did u create one / a few and share them?

Morgenmuffel
22-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Things I have shared on the 2k machine

Various folders
DVD Drive
Printer

as for firewalls both machines have the Trend (PC-Cillin) firewall

andy
22-05-2007, 11:19 AM
why not just fit a usb hub to the XP machine if that's where you want the printer. A 4 port hub is less than $30 and will solve your headache.

Morgenmuffel
22-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Already tried that and it seems I may need a powered USB hub for that to have a chance of working as the printer developed all sorts of weird problems when attached to the hub, removed the Hub and the printer worked perfectly

Anyway the 2K machine is on a lot more than the XP machine, so i would prefer it on the 2k machine