PDA

View Full Version : PC shuts down when trying to remove USB device

mu man
18-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I've had a look on the web but nothing relating to this, people have power problems or the PC shuting down when attching a USB device but I have not come across PCs shutting down when trying to remove USB device.
I use the safely remove hardware thing and stop my device and it comes up with the pop up, "you may safely remove your device"
But as soon as I pull it out the whole PC shuts down and restarts.
Have been saving work shutting down the PC and then pulling out the USB device but this work around is tiresome.
Help pls!!

pctek
18-05-2007, 03:45 PM
You have an sata HDD?
Are you stopping the right device - you're not stopping the HDD instead are you?

SurferJoe46
18-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Had a crappy USB cable once that did this...drove me nuts till I figgered it out.

It was shorting out the B+ when I pulled on it..even ever so gently...and BSOD or Black-Out!

Broken or frayed internal wire strands were probably the trouble...but I never dissected it to see what was going on..actually, I never found it again...on the roof, I think!

SolMiester
18-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Had a crappy USB cable once that did this...drove me nuts till I figgered it out.

It was shorting out the B+ when I pulled on it..even ever so gently...and BSOD or Black-Out!

Broken or frayed internal wire strands were probably the trouble...but I never dissected it to see what was going on..actually, I never found it again...on the roof, I think!

Yeah, this what i thought to, what is the plug like that you are using, is it every port of just 1. If its a front port, 1 of the wires where it attaches to the motherboard maybe loose, or just the socket itself.