PDA

View Full Version : Network? What about the modem?

24-02-2001, 10:00 AM
Hello

On a friend's computer: I have formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 95 with Client for MS Networks; Dial Up Adapter; NetBEUI & TCP/IP. The modem is a KTX 33.6K Voice (W-SP-PHONE)INTERNAL.

PROBLEM 1:
In ControlPanel>Modems>Diagnostics>Modem (on COM3)communicates fine. However I cannot connect to the internet - the modem dials, then makes a high-pitched sound and disconnects.

PROBLEM 2: In Windows Explorer there is a folder called Wininst0.400 with a lot of files which appear to be network related.

PROBLEM 3: I cannot install any software.

PROBLEM 4: Add/Remove Programs list is empty, zero, zilch!

Does all of this, combined, mean that the computer has a network thingey? My friend only has the one computer and knows less than I!

Can I disable this network stuff in the registry. If it can be done this way, I can quite confidently edit the registry.

H.E.L.P. Can anyone please help me? I am completely at a loss as to what to do.

S.O.S.

Many thanks. Sharrea.

24-02-2001, 01:20 PM
Hello again Sharrea.

How's the T'bird going ??
To your problems, I think the easiest and most productive solution open to you is to reformat and start again, as it seems something as gone wrong with your Windows installation, could be in the Windows shell, but will probably take longer to troubleshoot than just reformat and reinstall as obviously you don't have much software loaded.
Also you don't need Netbeui when you configure for the Internet.

Regards
Alan

25-02-2001, 07:51 AM
Hello Alan

Thanks for the advice once again. OK, I will reformat and reinstall Win95 (without Netbeui).

I can't understand how this happened. Hope it doesn't happen next time.

Thanks Alan. Cheers. Sharrea.