PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems - XP

sarel
14-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi guys

I've searched through the previous posts but could not find an answer to my problem so here goes - my friend's PC - Presario 1.5Ghz XP Pro 512RAM - had a problem and I reinstalled XP for her. Can't get the sound going (Realtek). Downloaded latest drivers from HP site - still nothing - and I could not find out where the files have been saved to (auto process). Needless to say I am now looking for a generic sound driver or two, unless one of you can tell me where XP saves these files. If not, any good generic driver coming in a zipped file?

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2007, 02:00 PM
And whats the model of this PC??

I wouldn't dl any generic driver, it wont fix it. and dont get the drivers (or any drivers), from the Windowsupdate site. That'll definitely screw things up.

What do u mean auto process??

DeSade
14-05-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

try the realtek drivers rather than the 3rd party ones.

Agent_24
14-05-2007, 02:36 PM
The latest drivers from HP should fix it, if you get the correct ones.

So have you managed to install these at all or could you not find where they were downloaded to?

sarel
14-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Downloaded OK, but after install, when trying Device - Reinstall Driver - find nothing. Can't figure out where it installed to (so that I can point it to the right folder).

sarel

Agent_24
14-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Is this (from HP) one of those installers that actually copies the drivers and installs the device or extracts the drivers and setup program to a strange temporary directory?

sarel
15-05-2007, 07:13 AM
As far as I can figure it out it is sent to deep space and reclaimed from there. it's definitely not on the PC - I went thru every frickin folder and file. Last night though, I d/l'ed some other updates, zipped, that I will try today and I've got the feeling they'll work

The irony of it all is this lady friend thinks I am sitting right next to Peter up there, the uber geek that knows all. ROFL. When I tell her I know stuff-all, and any guy with a PC shop will do what I did within an hour (but charge for it) she said no, it's not so. Just shows what wild imagination can do.

sarel

sarel
15-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm very happy to report that I solved all the problems :D - got all the drivers off appropriate sites, in zip format, installed them and everything runs beautifully. (I'm just fricken glad it worked, otherwise I don't know what I would have done next) :horrified .

After I finished the installations, and the sound did not work still (although everything else pointed to it being running) I found the sound plug not plugged in at the back. Needless to say I did not check that initially. They told me they took it out last night but I wonder.:annoyed:

Well, no rest for the weary. Another one to do for the lady, but it's an old clunker running Win 98 and she just want me to delete some stuff to get more memory (or so I think).

sarel