PDA

View Full Version : Digital Video

aidanmaz
12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi i seem to, as we do, hav a huge collection of dvds, and unfortunately, im hopeless with disks......(its like the undefeatable paper-war but with cds/dvds) i waswondering even tho it int legal, and i own the discs, is there a way i can put the movies onto hdd,as files? so i wudnt have to run around the house looking for a dvd if i want to watch it? i just wanted to know what the best format to encode the ideos as, for best storage and quality

cheers

winmacguy
12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Handbrake which is FREE and I think it works for PC. Best video codec to use MP4 or h.264
Handbrake was originally released to allow DVDs to be ripped and put into video capable iPods.
To rip your Music CDs to your HD you could use iTunes for PC or something like Winamp which is also free. rip them at a decent bitrate of at least 192kps in either aac or a hi rate on MP3 (although this is getting a bit old now)
Make sure you have a big 160GB+ sized HD as video takes about 1GB per DVD when compressed.

There is also a program called DVD Ripper. Check out the versiontracker website, it has all the free or shareware 3rd party apps for just about any task on it.

Breezzee
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
aidanmaz, I use CloneDVDmobile to back up my DVD's. I do a VOB pass through, making it one VOB file file then use a program called VideoReDo to do a stream fix/check with the outfile as a .mpg

The video files are large but the quality is excellent.

Tony.br
13-05-2007, 06:08 AM
2 1/2 years ago, my son and family were going back to work in London for a while.

He and his wife both have laptops (he has a Dell and she a iBook) so he bought an external USB HD drive and ripped all his 2 year old daughters DVD's - Hi Five, Wiggles etc) and all episodes of Babylon Five plus other stuff onto the HD

Played on the laptops just fine