PDA

View Full Version : ICH Temperature

george12
11-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I just built a system using the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 CPU and Intel DQ965GFEKR motherboard.

The CPU idles at an OK 50 degrees (never above), but the ICH Temperature reading in the BIOS gets to 65 degrees extremely fast, idling. I'm talking within a minute of turning on from cold, ICH is at 65 (I haven't let it keep climbing, in case it's bad).

WHAT IS the ICH temperature? I've never heard of it and the internet isn't much help.....

george12
11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
It's at 75.56 degrees C and rising. I have turned it off until I work out what's going on. The CPU is 46 deg C.

PaulD
11-05-2007, 08:57 PM
WHAT IS the ICH temperature? I've never heard of it and the internet isn't much help.....

Search harder. The Intel ICH is the so called southbridge chipset on the motherboard

george12
11-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Search harder. The Intel ICH is the so called southbridge chipset on the motherboard

Well that probably shouldn't be at 75 degrees C ....

Pete O'Neil
11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
The ICH is what Intel calls the southbridge, whats the cooling like on the motherboard? That temp is very high, chances are the temp diode and reading the temp wrong.

george12
11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I have the CPU fan with a side case fan opposite on the case, and the power supply fan. Adding more would probably sort it out, I'll do that.

Pete O'Neil
11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I meant what sort of cooling was on the southbridge, never mind i googled it. The ICH8 doesn't get particularly hot but does require a small passive heatsink, have you made sure the small silver heatsink that comes with the DQ965GFEKR is still attached? It may be worth remounting it and make sure its making correct contact with the chip. As long as theres some airflow in the case then there shouldn't be a problem and its most likely the temp diode misreading the temp.

george12
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I meant what sort of cooling was on the southbridge, never mind i googled it. The ICH8 doesn't get particularly hot but does require a small passive heatsink, have you made sure the small silver heatsink that comes with the DQ965GFEKR is still attached? It may be worth remounting it and make sure its making correct contact with the chip. As long as theres some airflow in the case then there shouldn't be a problem and its most likely the temp diode misreading the temp.

The heatsink is there, it's a pretty big one. I will have a look at remounting it, but I will try upping the airflow first. I expect this system can produce a LOT of heat, so extra flow never hurts.

Pete O'Neil
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
The ICH would only reach 65+ if the heatsink wasn't mounted properly, its highly unlikely its an airflow issue.

george12
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
I have an inlet and outlet fan installed now, although there seems to be pretty much no way for the inlet to get any air ....

The CPU now idles at a lower 47 degrees, and the motherboard recognises and can control the fans ....... but the ICH still flies up. When I mentioned the big heatsink I wasn't looking at the ICH. The ICH has a small heatsink but it's solidly attached.

What else should I do? Edit: Read your post, I'm reseating it now. I took off the clamp and it's well-stuck to the chip. Good sign? Bad sign? Or just pull/pry it off?

Pete O'Neil
12-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Chances are Intel used a cheap and nasty TIM (thermal interface material), kinda small, normally pink square, the same crap that comes on stock CPU coolers. Its not bad and normally sufficient but can be a ***** to remove. As long as you go easy its fine to pry it off, but be gentle and make sure you don't damage any motherboard traces.

george12
12-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Chances are Intel used a cheap and nasty TIM (thermal interface material), kinda small, normally pink square, the same crap that comes on stock CPU coolers. Its not bad and normally sufficient but can be a ***** to remove. As long as you go easy its fine to pry it off, but be gentle and make sure you don't damage any motherboard traces.

But what am I going to find? If it's solidly on the chip, how can it be mounted improperly? I just installed XP and after doing so it was 77 degrees. The manual says it can actually go up to 92 deg, but I'm not very comfortable with temps that high.

Pete O'Neil
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Doubt you'll find anything, although if it really is that hot you might be lucky and find some burn marks or discolouring. Try a BIOS update, if its a dodgey sensor then that might fix it.

george12
12-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks Pete. To the touch it feels 40 degrees. I'll do the BIOS update now, and see if that helps.

Faded_Mantis
15-05-2007, 12:50 AM
My Northbridge temp on a socket 754 (AMD) motherboard sits around 65C and every so often spikes as high as 96C and by the next temp reading is down to 65 again.

MSI said it shouldn't be that high on my board and told me to flash my bios, following the instructions in the manual. I've heard of people having problems flashing the bios so I never tried it. The computers been running for a year now, with the northbridge doing that but no problems.

I was thinking of getting a good Northbridge heatsink just to shut that fan it has up, it's doing 7500rpm.

B.M.
15-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Have you tried measuring the temperature of the heatsink with a third party instrument like the thermocouple that comes with one of those fairly cheap multimeters supplied by Dick Smith? My one seems surprisingly accurate.

Id just insert the probe between the heatsink fins touching the heatsink base (a little thermal paste on the end of the probe may help) and watch the two readings as the machine was left idling for an hour or so.

This should give you some idea if your on board sensor is telling porkies.

george12
15-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, I've sent the PC off to him. I'm happy enough with it now.

It's around 71 degrees under full stress-test load after adding/rearranging some fans, and that's WELL within the "green" zone. I think it was an airflow issue after all, caused by the massive graphics card blocking off all air from the fans up top.

I won't buy this motherboard again though, I hate the BIOS and I hate the "intelligent fan control", which makes sure fans go at absolute rock bottom speed (no more than 1200rpm) until the computer is about to melt (which Intel acknowlages but hasn't fixed).

Before I sorted the cooling, the CPU would be at 70 degrees and the motherboard at 65/62/64/82 (four sensors) and both fans that were motherboard controls would be going at under 1300rpm - the CPU fan goes up to over 6000.

I guess it's a good thing that it stays cool now even with such low fan speeds. Makes for a quiet PC....

swparker99
14-11-2007, 04:39 AM
the ICH is the I/O Controller Hub (ICH).
the MCH is the Memory controller Hub (MCH)
each board type has slightly different locations for the
temperature zones for these Hubs. I have found
that increasing the speed of the rear fan decreases the ICH Temperature on the DQ35JO running 2GB RAM w/a 6850 processor with and Antec 380Eathwatts and Tri speed rear fan. Increasing the fan speed from 1200RPM to 1600RPM decreased my ICH temperature from 64C to 56C.
Moving the Side Panel air guide closer (without a fan) to the processor resulted in decreasing the CPU Temp from 46C to 43C.

My CPU Fan is running at 1115 RPM with a normal fan control setting in the bios.

MY MCH temp. has remained constant at 66C and may require some additional air flow from the front to reduce.
Hope this helps.

Graham L
14-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Is the "ICH" actually getting hot?

Try touching it. If you can't hold your finger on it for more than a second it will be over 70 degrees.

beeswax34
14-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Come on, this thread is 6 months old.