PDA

View Full Version : Cannot view incoming messages in OE

dlpatel
10-05-2007, 11:26 PM
I use Outlook Express. While in the process of receiving messages from my ISP I am aware of the number of messages I should be able to read. However the messages are not viewable and also after reopening the OE the screen indicates that there no messages in the Inbox even though I have not been able to read them. The problem started when I selected couple of messages and then I cannot remember what I did to cause this situation. In that process all my messages in the Inbox since 2 Jan 2007 have also disappeared. :( Please help how to remedy the situation. Thank you

jinja_thom
11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
You may have a message rule set that is sending everything to the deleted items box, have a look in deleted items to see if there are any recent messages.

Of course if you also clear the deleted items box on exit from OE you will never know they were ever there.

dlpatel
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Have checked Delete folder, no new messages there. Messages deleted a few days before this problem are still there in the Delete folder.

Safari
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Got to View/Current view and make sure Show all messages is selected.

dlpatel
13-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Got to View/Current view and make sure Show all messages is selected.

Have tried that too but still no success :groan: Is it worth reinstalling OE again but how ? :confused:

Safari
13-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Have tried that too but still no success :groan: Is it worth reinstalling OE again but how ? :confused:

I would not do a reinstall yet.
You may have a corrupted inbox.
Send an email to yourself and then check in webmail that the message is there.
Go to Outlook Express and check for new mail.
If the message does not show in your inbox and it is still showing in webmail than Outlook Express is not downloading the messages for some reason.
Note any error message you get from OE

You could try deleting your inbox.dbx file - do a start/run search for files or folders. Try to locate the inbox.dbx file and delete it with OE closed.This will create a new empty Inbox in OE
Any messages you had in your Inbox will be lost if you do this but sounds as if this may already be the case anyway.

pheonix
13-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Note to above message...
If your search doesn't turn up any files with the dbx extension, then after the start - search - files and folders, look down the left and click the "advanced options" and ensure the top 3 boxes are ticked. then do a search.

Tony.br
14-05-2007, 05:50 AM
You wont see it because by default, Windows XP hides those folders

Open MY COMPUTER, Click on Tools -> Folder Options -> View

Change Hidden Files and Folders to "SHOW" and while you are there untick "Hide extensions for known file types"

Click Apply and OK and there you are. Now try again

dlpatel
28-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I would not do a reinstall yet.
You may have a corrupted inbox.
Send an email to yourself and then check in webmail that the message is there.
Go to Outlook Express and check for new mail.
If the message does not show in your inbox and it is still showing in webmail than Outlook Express is not downloading the messages for some reason.
Note any error message you get from OE

You could try deleting your inbox.dbx file - do a start/run search for files or folders. Try to locate the inbox.dbx file and delete it with OE closed.This will create a new empty Inbox in OE
Any messages you had in your Inbox will be lost if you do this but sounds as if this may already be the case anyway.

I did as you suggested to delete the Inbox folder and everything seems to work fine now though I have lost all my saved messages ! :eek: Thank you very much to releive me of my anxiety which I had for 2 weeks when things were not working.

zlatan24
30-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Most likely your mails corrupted, in this situation i use [spam removed] and consult you. It might repair Outlook Express dbx corrupt file, can repair dbx corrupted file in the Batch Mode and similar.

[edit: Crikey you are an indiscriminate spammer. Been everywhere. The spamming of that Linux forum with your Windows product was particularly amusing. BTW, account banned for spamming - Jen (Moderator)]

Nazrat
31-05-2007, 09:46 PM
If Xtra is your ISP, then your incoming emails sit in xtramail (without you ever knowing or noticing) until you open them in OE. Usually there is no problem with this. But xtramail is capped, to 2GB I think. So if your incoming emails are not getting through, go into xtramail and you might find a great backlog there that won't move due to the aforementioned cap. This problem can easily occur if some idiot(s) are sending you very large emails, eg, with big photo attachments which they should have resized before sending.