PDA

View Full Version : PC Laptops, which ones are the best

notechyet
07-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Hello
I had a look through PF1 to find a selection/list of PC laptops and often it comes up in connection with macbook, and had a good look at the MacBook specs.
I just would like to know which ones are the better of Windows based laptops.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks
NT

paulw
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I seem to remeber that APC mag in Oz did a reader survey end of last year ans ASUS came out top with Acer at the bottom..

winmacguy
07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello
I had a look through PF1 to find a selection/list of PC laptops and often it comes up in connection with macbook, and had a good look at the MacBook specs.
I just would like to know which ones are the better of Windows based laptops.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks
NT

Are you wanting to get one of each?

notechyet
08-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Are you wanting to get one of each?

winmacguy
no, one has to be enough. After all, I do not play games at all, it is solely for work and other things like the one I am doing right now. I would also run a 23"screen (my eyes are getting are getting older) at work and one at home(23" dell at the moment).
Would someone be able to pinpoint to a decent survey of the laptops?
Anyway, how well do those machines last in comparrison to a tower? I heard that the laptops are failing(ageing) much faster?
If not getting a laptop, what would be the best way to synchronise the office machine with the home machine so I can work at home and vice versa without too much trouble.
I suspect that remote desktop and similar options are not to good here as our faaaaaaaast internet would be a pain!
NT

pctek
08-05-2007, 06:38 AM
ASUS
SOny
Toshiba

With Toshiba make sure it has a 3 yr warranty, some do and other models only get 1 year.

As for synchronising. What do you do on it exactly?
Why not just install the same application you use on the home PC and using a USB drive transfer the data to the work PC when you go in?

notechyet
08-05-2007, 08:09 AM
ASUS
SOny
Toshiba

With Toshiba make sure it has a 3 yr warranty, some do and other models only get 1 year.

As for synchronising. What do you do on it exactly?
Why not just install the same application you use on the home PC and using a USB drive transfer the data to the work PC when you go in?

pctek, thanks
CAD work, office(word, outlook a lot) and the odd graphics(illustrator), the od fax
I am just not sure if a simple transfer would do the job as all emails and any other files would have to be updated so I could contiue at home if needed/wanted.
Maybe I would have to do it with Acronis/Ghost? Though it takes a bit of time so it is not a rush job at the end/start of the day.
Say if I would backup(file/folder images) and restore on the second machine I could continue to use this machine and have a PC at work?

NT

winmacguy
08-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Maybe I would have to do it with Acronis/Ghost? Though it takes a bit of time so it is not a rush job at the end/start of the day.
Say if I would backup(file/folder images) and restore on the second machine I could continue to use this machine and have a PC at work?

NT

It sounds like a decent broadband connection with a secure remote login would be an economical business decision although it is very quick and easy 30 second job to transfer files to a USB drive or iPod at the end of the day and access them from your PC at home and resave the changes when you have finished.