PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime v7 Pro not joining 2 .movs

Brain_Cell_Anon
07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Dear all!
I just recently bought QuickTime v7 Pro to basically join two .movs. I found this Apple QuickTime website, URL:

http://helpqt.apple.com/qthelpwr3/english/QuickTimeHelp/pgs2/qtFmSet4.htm

where we are told:

To combine two movies:

1. In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the first movie.
2. Choose Edit > Copy, then open the second movie.
3. Move the playhead to the point at which you want to insert the movie (usually the very beginning or end of the original movie), and choose Edit > Paste.
4. Choose File > Save As to name and save the new movie.

I do number one but when I get to number two there is no "Cut, Copy, Paste" or "Delete"! They are all 'grayed' out. Any ideas?

I have been trying to contact Apple, but they seem to have buried it's technical help, although I did find a telephone number after a long scout around their site, clicking every link I could find.

Many regards,

The Cell :D

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Hmm just tried it here, it worked ok.

You did open the first mov didnt u? Then select all (in the first mov), then select copy (in the first mov window).

Then open the second mov, this will give u a second window, this is where u select paste (in the 2nd window, so the mov u just copied (from the 1st window) gets added (either to the start or end of the 2nd mov).

Then u click on save as (in the 2nd window, give it a name and change it to the first option underneath.

You have to watch which window u use the select all / copy / paste in.

It gets confusing when more than 1 window is opened!

The 2 movs I merged were 253,009 and 349,583, combined they created a 602,196kb file.

sal
07-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Can't you just open the first then drag the second file (don't open it) onto the player?

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Only thing I hate about QT (and thought it would have been fixed by now), is the option to disable show content guide at startup and # of recent items.

What exactly is the point of having these 2 options?

Even if u tick these 2 options they're still enabled when u run QT again, and it hangs (because its getting whatever off the net).

Its a PITA when you're on dialup.

Brain_Cell_Anon
08-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Speedy Gonzales
(again!!?? :thumbs: Just replied to you about 'corrupted downloads' on this site. Thanks again for that!)
This time tho, sorry, no pay! :( As the QuickTime website explained:

To combine two movies:
1. In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the first movie.
2. Choose Edit > Copy, then open the second movie.
but my issue is:

I do number one but when I get to number two there is no "Cut, Copy, Paste" or "Delete"! They are all 'grayed' out. Any ideas?
As you say:

You did open the first mov didnt u?
Yes I did! Then you say:

Then select all (in the first mov),
Which I can do, but when you say:

then select copy (in the first mov window).
as I said:

when I get to number two there is no "Cut, Copy, Paste" or "Delete"! They are all 'grayed' out. Any ideas?
So I can only do number one, but no dice on number two. That's my issue!

Oh, and your second reply.... hmm! I agree! Maybe QuickTime no longer 'needs' to listen to any one (being the sort of default for a lot of online 'videos') a bit like M$, a?

However, it seems that may all be no longer a worry as......

sal
In what I have to say seemed almost like a throw away answer :cool: you've solved my problem in one! :thumbs:
I didn't know that could be done with QuickTime! Many, many thanks.

Once again, many thanks all!

The Cell :D