PDA

View Full Version : Data Transfer Between PC's

AndrewNZ
06-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi

I have a PC running windows 2000 and I am thinking of buying another computer. I was wondering what the best way to transfer between the data between the 2 PC's would be? The new computer will run windows 2000 or windows XP. There will be a network card in both, is this a good way to transfer? Only one monitor between them both.

Thanks

Andrew

drcspy
06-05-2007, 03:14 AM
if you installed vnc and networked them your single monitor could easily display the screen output from both pc's other wise just burn the data to cd or dvd or else slave the 'old' harddrive to the new puter......

Tony.br
06-05-2007, 06:09 AM
As an alternative...

If your old PC has USB (preferably USB2.0) you could purchase a USB Network cable. These either have software on CD or in some cases like the new BELKIN and a couple of others I have seen, have a ROM built in the cable itself.

I cannot speak for how the Belkin works, but in the NONAME one I found, the cable appears to each computer as a Removable drive. In this drive is an EXE file and you simply click on this from each end, and the contents of the 2 computers appear in a split screen format allowing to to drag and drop data between them.

Just be sure that if your old PC is USB 1.1, that the cable you purchase is USB 1.1 compatable. Some may not be. Even if it is, transfer speeds will be slow.

To check which port you have, open the control panel and click on System. In XP click on Hardware then Device manager. Look under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and if you see an entry that says "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" it is USB 2.0

pctek
06-05-2007, 06:48 AM
As an alternative...

Overly complicated.

Just take the hard drive out, hook it up as slave to the new PC and move stuff.
Way faster that way too.

Tony.br
06-05-2007, 06:54 AM
I agree, but not everybody is happy playing around inside the hardware

I do that but hook the hard drive up via a USB HD adaptor

However I forgot to mention a 1 gb Flash memory drive or larger

LOL

kennie
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Networked together sounds fine... if the data is being shared between each other quite often... then maybe add in a KVM Switch to share the keyboard, mouse and monitor between both as well...