PDA

View Full Version : using 2 screens independently

djuko
05-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I often need to write a report or presentation using different software for data (spreadsheet) and text. I wish to use 2 monitors with ability to run separate application on each monitor. I have got 'Radeon' graphic card with analog and digital conection but was unable to split output of different applications. Do I need 2 separate graphic cards or there is software which can do the job. I have tried within Windows XP to enable 'extended desktop' but have got nothing than trouble! I am using converter on digital output so I can use analog monitors. Thanks.

Jen
05-05-2007, 05:32 PM
What happened when you tried the option of "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"? Did you have the second monitor seleted at the time?

Welcome to PressF1 as well. :)

djuko
05-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I've got 2 monitors running but with the same application. I couldn't run MS Word on Monitor1 and Excel on Monitor2. Problem stated when I change screen resolution - after restart I got message 'out of range' warning and no display at all. It took me quite a lot of time to reset the system on the begining (with restore to previous system).

Billy T
05-05-2007, 06:18 PM
You need two separate and independent video channels to do that, though that may be a single card with twin video heads.

Think about it, extending one video signal across two monitors still needs just one signal, but two monitors with independent displays requires two independent data feeds. Either that or some very high speed matrixing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
But extending the Windows desktop onto the second monitor is all you need.

Just drag the second application over to the second monitor, you need it to be running in less than full screen mode, but expanded to fill the screen otherwise it will not drag.

I have run dual monitors in this mode for several years, with a different application running on each, or a second version of the same application on each with different files open.

Safari
05-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Check the info here.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx

djuko
25-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Thank you for your help. I have done this previously but without success. I will follow this instruction over this weekend and post you about results. Maybe I have selected wrong resolution.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2007, 09:24 PM
The Nvidia videocards were / are easier for this, than the ATI cards.

At least u didnt need 2 cards, just a plug from TV out, to a TV / monitor, and one to a monitor.

Which I did have till the Nvidia drivers got worse and crappier everytime they updated the drivers.

Sometimes the ATI drivers are hard to configure and the settings dont always "stick". Until, you've liked rebooted 10,000 times!

SolMiester
25-05-2007, 09:52 PM
But extending the Windows desktop onto the second monitor is all you need.

Just drag the second application over to the second monitor, you need it to be running in less than full screen mode, but expanded to fill the screen otherwise it will not drag.

I have run dual monitors in this mode for several years, with a different application running on each, or a second version of the same application on each with different files open.
Erh, NOT expanded, otherwise you cant drag the app to the other monitor you mean!....then you can expand it. If you have the app already expanded, you need nvidia dual view software or other 3rd party software to those the app to the other monitor...

godfather
26-05-2007, 12:46 AM
No they will move unless "maximised" when you drag and drop.

I run my applications "expanded" but not "maximised". I manually expand them by dragging the edges to almost the full size, but not by maximising using the [ ] at top right.

Just visualise that "maximised is auto full screen, and "expanded" is about the same size but done manually.

SolMiester
26-05-2007, 11:26 AM
No they will move unless "maximised" when you drag and drop.

I run my applications "expanded" but not "maximised". I manually expand them by dragging the edges to almost the full size, but not by maximising using the [ ] at top right.

Just visualise that "maximised is auto full screen, and "expanded" is about the same size but done manually.

That is correct!, what I said! guess I thought you meant maximised...