PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to automatically change background everytime I turn laptop on?

--Wolf--
05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm on a roll here today, so I might as well get this one out there too.

Is there a way, so that every time I turn my laptop on, there is a different desktop background picture? Like, say I have a folder of about 50 pictures, can I somehow set it so that every time I restart/turn on one of them will RANDOMLY become the new desktop background, until I restart/turn off.

Like a slideshow..except it only moves on a reboot. Hope that makes sense?

winmacguy
05-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Right click on your desktop and go to properties (if my memory serves me correctly) and change the background settings to - everytime I turn my PC on.

Deathwish
05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Wolf,
Hope this helps :
http://www.tropicalwares.com/wallmast.html

I use I think version 2.4 of Wallmaster, just the normal version. I think there is also a pro version which you have to pay a bit for, though it lets you have a list of upto 32,000 wallpapers rather than the 50 which the free version offers (who needs/has 32k wallpapers anyway?).

I've been using it for a year or so now and found it pretty cool. Doesn't seem to conflict with startup speeds at all, nor with any of my other applications. You can configure different display settings for each wallpaper and there is also an option for it to change the wallpaper randomly at startup/every few minutes etc. as well as an option to have it change them in an order of your choosing.

Deathwish
05-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Right click on your desktop and go to properties (if my memory serves me correctly) and change the background settings to - everytime I turn my PC on.

:waughh: Is there such a feature for Windows XP, or is that on Mac's only? I remember seeing something on Mac before I think, though my experience there is very little.

--Wolf--
05-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Wolf,
Hope this helps :
http://www.tropicalwares.com/wallmast.html

I use I think version 2.4 of Wallmaster, just the normal version. I think there is also a pro version which you have to pay a bit for, though it lets you have a list of upto 32,000 wallpapers rather than the 50 which the free version offers (who needs/has 32k wallpapers anyway?).

I've been using it for a year or so now and found it pretty cool. Doesn't seem to conflict with startup speeds at all, nor with any of my other applications. You can configure different display settings for each wallpaper and there is also an option for it to change the wallpaper randomly at startup/every few minutes etc. as well as an option to have it change them in an order of your choosing.

Just got it up and running, and so far it seems to work great. Thanks for your help.

Growly
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
You can do this without the addition of any extra software with a simple .vbs script, but it doesn't have as many features and is hardly easier to use... I guess you could argue that it's just so much smaller? Either way, just so you know...

The script is copied below - all you have to do is modify it so that it reads from a folder you specify, and then set it as one of your login scripts (which you can configure through start -> run -> compmgmt.msc -> Local users and Groups -> Right click your name -> Properties -> Profile -> Login script. The alternative way (which is nicer IMHO), is to edit your local group policy: start -> run -> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts -> Logon.

Here's the script (I originally wrote it to use a remote folder by first mapping a drive, so it's been hacked up and not tested, but should work):

[code]Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001

'Make a filesystem object
Dim objFileSystem
Set objFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'The path of the wallpaper [change this]
Dim strWallDir
strWallDir = "C:\Wallpaper\" 'make sure the trailing backslash remains

'Create an object to hold the file contents of the wallpaper folder
Dim objFiles
Set objFiles = objFileSystem.GetFolder(strWallDir).Files

'Seed the random generator with the current time (pseudo-random, sure)
Randomize

'Declare variables for the limits of the random number generated, and the number itself
Dim intLowerBound, intUpperBound, intRandIndex

intLowerBound = 1
intUpperBound = objFiles.Count
intRandIndex = Int((intUpperBound - intLowerBound) * Rnd + intLowerNumber)

' Declare variables for the counter and the file name of the wallpaper
Dim i, strWallFile

' Loop through the files in the folder until one's index matches the random int.
' It would be a lot cleaner and easier to pull this directly from the files collection
' using .Item, but as yet I don't know how to use an integer index.
int i = 1
For Each objFile In objFiles
If i = intRandIndex Then
strWallFile = objFile.Name
End If
i = i + 1
Next

'Make a Shell object (for My Documents path)
Dim objShell
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'Check it exists, just for kicks
If objFileSystem.FileExists%2