PDA

View Full Version : Missing .vxd and .dll files

Chris Randal
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I ws stupid enough to install Photo Express v4.0 last night, to support a cheap throwaway type digital camera.

There was a problem with the install, and I did it again over the top of the orginal install and it asked me if I wanted to uninstall first. I clicked Yes and the second install was successful.

The problem is that now when I boot up the computer (W98SE) I get a message saying that the following files are missing from the registry or from system.ini

The four missing files are:
vnetsup.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd
msnp32.dll

Whilst the warning messages are coming up they are saying that the files is missing as I said above. The message also says that I can try uninstalling the program, but I don't really want to do that yet in case something else goes wrong. It also says that there is a fault with Microsoft Network.

I don't have the W98SE disk, but the person who gave me the computer has put all the W98SE files onto the hard drive. They are, however, zipped into about 25 files and I have no way of finding out where the missing files are in that folder.

I have registry backups of course from when I last ran crap cleaner, but I'm not sure how to restore the registry from the back up, which crap cleaner has placed in the My Documents folder.

I haven't tried googling the missing files yet - but will that help me?

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

snoopy
04-05-2007, 08:32 PM
This page gives you the contents of each cab file

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/old/help/cab.html#l98

Chris Randal
04-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Snoopy

Using that link you gave, I came across this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302590

Reading this, do I really need to fix the problem, or can I just uninstall "Client for Microsoft Networks"

The computer is stand alone, it will be used only as a stand alone and will never be networked. When it is replaced it will be used to play with Linux, and the new machine will have XP and will not be networked either.

snoopy
05-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Worth a try

Chris Randal
06-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Any other opinions?

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Just checked my 98 SE cd here.

Those 4 files are all in the base4.cab file on the cd.

I've extracted all 4 to the hdd. So, if u want them, send me a PM with your email. And I'll zip them and email them. to u.

They're 112k zipped. Or if u have MSN or Yahoo I'll send it thru there.

Since Gmail is pretty hopeless with file attachments

beeswax34
06-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Whats wrong with Gmails attachments. I use it atleast 10 times a day and no problems so far. Though I do wish Google Doc's would upload bigger files.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Well it cant even handle 78k or anything under one mb. Altho, dunno if its coz I do it from OE not the site.

I'll haveta go to the site and see if there are any options somewhere.

Nup cant see anything bout attachments.

pctek
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Don't you just love Win98?

Presumably apart from that message it is booting into Windows OK?

In normal mode?

I had a similar thing the other day, a whole load of vxds etc.
It would boot OK into safe mode only, I uninstalled and reinstalled things for ages, thought I'd ifxed it and nope - it suddnely wouldn't resolve IP addresses.

SO I reinstalled Win98 over itself which cured it, it kept everything else intact.