PDA

View Full Version : Can I play a game with a graphics card that doesnt meet system requirements?

--Wolf--
04-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I want to play Lord of The Rings Online on my laptop (which has a interrogated graphics card) until I get my new pc at the end of the month.

I used http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest and it told me the min I needed was a 64mb something something....

But I was wondering...the blunt question of "Can I run ____ if I don't meet the minimum system requirements" aside...because I don't meet the min system requirements for World of Warcraft (graphic card problem again..same with LOTRO) yet I could still play that fine.

I could also play Half Life 2 etc.

I don't really care what performance I get, I just wanna play the game...so can I actually play the game with an interrogated graphics card.

Thanks.

pctek
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
in·ter·ro·gate (n-tr-gt)
1. To examine by questioning formally or officially.

in·te·grated (nt-grt-d) (graphics)
1. A name used for a graphics adapter that is embedded into a motherboard chip, typically the Northbridge.

You can try. It either will or it won't.

If its that low under minimum specs, why bother, it would totally ruin the game.

The_End_Of_Reality
04-05-2007, 08:25 PM
The minimum specs are there for a decent level of quality, I used to run the sims and sims 2 on an old P3 500 with an 8MB intergrated chip and it was not the best, but it was just playable (sims 2)

It all depends on how far below you are... for example if you are only 200MHz CPU power below then it would be OK, not ideal, but playable... BUT if you were like 1GHz CPU power down and half the GFX memory etc then I wouldn't even bother

memphis
04-05-2007, 08:45 PM
You would not enjoy the game at below minimum specs,if it worked at all in the first place.:groan:

You want to play a game at recommended or better then recommended specs to really enjoy a game and have no probs. with it.:cool:

Metla
04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Plenty of games crash on launch when someone tries to run them on an intergrated chip, Don't presume for a second that you will even get it to run.

--Wolf--
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
And that's exactly why I'm asking Metla....WoW run just fine...extremely smooth and little slowdown. So did Half-Life 2...and I'm sure the minimum requirements for HL2 are not "Integrated (did I get it right that time?) graphics card"

So there is no 'for sure' way to tell if it will actually run? And FYI, here are the graphics results:

Video Card
Minimum: 64 MB video card, NVIDIA GeForce3 or better
You Have: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset)
FAIL: Sorry, your video card does not meet this minimum requirement.
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 64 MB , You have - 128.0 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1 , You have - 0.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1 , You have - 2.0

Everything else
(par RAM,
System RAM
Recommended: 2 GB
You Have: 759.4 MB)

is over recommended.

And like I said..it's only until I get my pwnage computer at the end of the month...i just have the craving to play this game..now.

Deathwish
05-05-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't see why you can't just try running it now.. afterall, it's not like you're risking buying it and finding it won't run etc. seeing as you're getting this super 'pwnage computer' later this month anyway.

FYI, your system will not explode or melt down if it ends up not being powerful enough to run the game.

Give it a shot, if it works then atleast you can play, if you don't mine <20 FPS. If it doesn't work, too bad for now.

DeSade
05-05-2007, 04:57 AM
This is your biggest problem
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1 , You have - 0.0

If the shader isn't there it just won't work as it should.

And your ram is very low, you don't have 759 by the way, as your graphics chip has 128mb of that allocated to it at all times

--Wolf--
05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
DeSade, I was just copying and pasting what the site said.

Define "Wont work as it should". Will it not work at all or what? And can't I just turn the Vertex Shader off?

I suppose I can take the risk of trying it, and then if it doesnt work just keep it until I get my super pwnage computer :P