PDA

View Full Version : Vista with Nortons

rocky138
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Been trying to decipher some earlier posts.
Will Nortons actually run with Vista.

qazwsxokmijn
04-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I believe they do....but don't use Norton!

Use AVG (it's free) or Kaspersky or Nod32.

rocky138
04-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Reason for not using Nortons?

mattv
04-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I've tried Norton 360 (trial version) with Vista Ultimate. Worked okay for the most part, didn't seem to bog down the system too much but I did have a problem with media centre connectivity with my xbox 360. Some files (mpeg2's) would not play properly and symantec were unable to provide a solution so I ditched it. Am now using AVG for antivirus which does that job at least. Will probably try Kaspersky as I have heard a few good comments about that.

MAC_H8ER
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
its crap.
i have worked on a lot of PC's with Norton related problems with them - norton "seems" to work ok until a viruses gets in - then nortons just self destructs - taking the structure of the PC with it

*reads the cover box of Norton anti virus 2006 "the worlds most trusted and used Anti virus" - only because they whore it to dell and HP :mad:

its crap - get AVG - even it works better than Norton AV while not suffocating the computer with bloat

end of rant :mad:

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
And if u decide to get rid of Nortons, whatever u do, dont install ZA and Avast.

They dont like each other (so I found out last night doing a test, it froze the system, and turned Avast off).

Thats if u turn the AV / Anti spyware on in Zonealarm.

It uses Kaspersky, which will conflict with Avast.

pctek
04-05-2007, 01:38 PM
And if u decide to get rid of Nortons, whatever u do, dont install ZA and Avast.

Really? Couple of people here using both, for ages. Haven't had any issues. Maybe its the version?

Hey Mac-h8er - you've had that too with Nortons huh. Same. Nasty isn't it?
The customer was so *****ed off even though she had only just bought it, she refused to have it back and bought another AV instead.

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Really? Couple of people here using both, for ages. Haven't had any issues. Maybe its the version?

Yup, Avast (Pro, dunno about Home) brought up a popup saying so.

Could be the version, (4.7.1001 of Avast). It was the IS version of ZA 7 (latest version).

They'll work happily alongside each other, just as long as the AV option is turned off in ZA.

rocky138
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
ok it's AVG then.
Thanks to all.

MAC_H8ER
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey Mac-h8er - you've had that too with Nortons huh. Same. Nasty isn't it?

it is one nasty peice of software :angry

we have actually had people coming into our shop asking us to remove it and install AVG - any WHY do you need a REMOVAL tool to remove nortons? i though removal tools were for removing viruses not the anti-virus!

i even did a wee experiment with norton AV 2006 - i installed it on a fresh install of XP SP2 on a PC with a P4 3.0GHZ and 1GB of ram - it made that PC run like a dog that has arthritis - the moment we used the removal tool to get rid of it - the PC had such an increase in speed i could no believe :eek:

oh yeah did i mention its crap? :badpc:

Mike
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Been trying to decipher some earlier posts.
Will Nortons actually run with Vista.I've been using Norton products for years, and had no problems with any of them. Currently have NAV running on Vista - I think you need either a 2006 or 2007 version to run on Vista (may require a Vista patch if the one you've got isn't Vista certified). Previous versions of NIS or NAV don't work with Vista. I haven't tried other Norton programs in Vista yet.

Mike.

rocky138
04-05-2007, 10:51 PM
OK so we installed the AVG with the Vista & did the updates, no problems. Then the Vista Activation & the MS upgrade. After the reboot AVG was no where to be seen. Had to hunt into programs to find it but it wouldn't load. Had to reinstall & update it again but it won't run the resident shield & the systray icon remains grey. Must be a clash somewhere.
Also trying to get a VX3000 Webcam to work on MSN but MS suggests a 117MB drv download is required.

CYaBro
05-05-2007, 01:18 AM
With the fun I just had tonight with two Vista laptops I would say dump Vista as well! :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Go back to XP and buy NOD32