PDA

View Full Version : FTP - whats the best 'multi contributor' option?

tmckendry
03-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I want to have a facility on my web site to take ftp uploads for printing high res graphics. The file sizes will be various (say 1-30MB) as they are graphic files sent from multiple clients, which my Dye Sublimation printer can then access remotely to download and produce the prints.

Is there a dedicated 3rd party web site (with large file storage) that I should use for this purpose, or is it best to have an arrangement with my own ISP (Xtra)?

Regards
Tony.

somebody
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
You may find that it will be fairly expensive through Xtra - unless you already have a fair bit of disk space with your hosting, I'd recommend finding another provider - for example, I'm paying US$7.95/month for a web hosting account overseas with up to 230GB of disk space.

Given that your client's files are probably copyrighted, you will have issues in regard to Intellectual Property if you are using an insecure online service of some description - remember, if they can upload to an FTP server, then they will be able to download from it too. The same issues may exist if you use some sort of 3rd party online service.

Your best bet is to set up some form of system like this one: http://imagef1.net.nz/?page=home (talk to the user "dannz" on this forum as he has been developing ImageF1, and I'm sure he'll be happy to help), but without the "download" facility. That way your clients can securely upload the files without seeing others', and likewise, know that their files can only be seen by you. Your software can download them using ftp or whatever.

Greg
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah I agree doing it through Xtra will be inneficient and/or expensive.

Forget the trivial "copyright" comments - deal with that issue later if it becomes an issue.

Get yourself a decent website host who offers FTP access; most do - there're plenty of offshore providers. It's dead easy to set up individual accesses for people for their use but also to dissallow access to the directories by others.

As for the Dannz imagef1.net.nz recommendation - yeah that's a good place to start too, although I would expect him to charge a modest fee for any advice given... in this regard I certainly would.

somebody
03-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Forget the trivial "copyright" comments - deal with that issue later if it becomes an issue.

I wouldn't consider it trivial - designers, photographers and so forth take IP very seriously, and would not appreciate it if their competitors were able to gain access to high-res copies of their work. Likewise, they would not appreciate it if every man and his dog could access it online.

As a serious business, these sort of things must be considered right from day one. If you wait till it "becomes an issue", then you will almost definetely be losing those clients.

mejobloggs
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Would you want SFTP (secure ftp) for this isntead of FTP?

tmckendry
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. We do need to have protection for our clients files (read 'copyright' if you will), I shall look into the solutions given - thanks a bundle, I really appreciate your time to reply :-)
Tony.