PDA

View Full Version : Dc++ / Ircd Hosting

shrapz
03-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Anyone run a dc++ or ircd server? Who are you hosting with? Are they reliable and a decent price? Or is it personally hosted? Looking at options right now. Cheers

Chilling_Silence
03-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Host yourself, its not hard to setup with a no-ip domain.

Its not fun paying for somebody else to host for you.

Get yourself a cheap linux box, anything 500Mhz+, 128MB Ram & a small HDD should suffice! Then, play, learn, enjoy, admin, break, re-install, and just have fun getting it all going! Its quite rewarding knowing you're running it yourself :)

Myth
03-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Get yourself a cheap linux box, anything 500Mhz+, 128MB Ram & a small HDD should suffice! Then, play, learn, enjoy, admin, break, re-install, and just have fun getting it all going! Its quite rewarding knowing you're running it yourself :)This is currently what I am doing (when I get the time) atm. Building a Gentoo based firewall, cups server, ftp server, which can also become an irc server if I want. Might play round with that when the rest is up to where I want it to be.

Myth
03-05-2007, 07:12 AM
I did actually have an addition to the last post, but something went wrong and it never saved ... and then the 15 minute timer kicked in and I was afk ...

The addition:
As Chilling said, host it yourself. Will be cheaper in the long run not to mention that you'll learn various things along the way too :thumbs: