PDA

View Full Version : Old DOS Game under Win XP

Tony
02-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm trying to run a very old text-based DOS game (DOS 2.0 would you believe) under WINXP, and all credit to Microsoft for backwards compatibility, it pretty much works.

The only issue I am having is that in the DOS box there are all sorts of control characters showing as well as the text, such as

<-[0m<-25;01H>

<- is actually a single backarrow.

I ought to know how to get rid of those, but I can't remember. Any old DOS heads out there who can help?

TIA

pctek
02-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Is your PC formatted in FAT32 or NTFS?

You should probably try DOSbox:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Tony
02-05-2007, 03:07 PM
It is NTFS.

I'll try DOSBOX - it looks potentially useful, although black text on purple/violet is a bit hard to read!

Thanks for the pointer.

pctek
02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
NTFS! Amazing.
I found they are fairly easy to run with a Fat32 fomatted system but heaps of them don't like to even install on NTFS.

Tony
02-05-2007, 04:01 PM
The ones I am trying don't need a specific install - they came as an .exe file with supporting files as well - all on a 5.25" floppy!

I downloaded and installed DOSBOX, and it seemed to do the trick. I'd still like to know how to get rid of those control characters under native XP, though.

A couple of the programs - including the original Russian Tetris (!) are a bit picky - sometimes they will run and sometimes they don't. They all seem to run OK under DOSBOX though.

My only complaint about DOSBOX (and yes I know it is free so I shouldn't complain) is that the colour schemes make everything sooo hard to read, and the language is typical geekspeak, which I can follow, although I'd prefer it if it was plain English.

So far I have working:

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (text adventure)
A Mind Forever Voyaging (ditto)
Original Tetris
Captain Comic
EGA Trek (star Trek game)
Mahjongg

pctek
02-05-2007, 08:04 PM
My only complaint about DOSBOX (and yes I know it is free so I shouldn't complain) is that the colour schemes make everything sooo hard to read,

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=12915

For starters. Theres a whole forum.

Mike
02-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Captain ComicI used to love playing Captain Comic :D

Mike.

Tony
02-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Mike, I was just looking at your location on Google Earth - I think your grass needs cutting.

I haven't played Captain Comic for years; I'm looking forward to getting back up to speed, once I can remember how to get into the first door...

pcuser42
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
It seemed that way as well when I went back to an old game (Gruntz). I almost needed retraining! :D

Graham L
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
It might want ANSI.COM running. That string looks like the sort of stuff which got translated to do clever things on the screen. ANSI.COM could do all sorts of other things too, like redefining keys: how would you like to redefine the "Enter" key so that it becomes a command, like "TREEDEL /Y C:\"? :)

pctek
03-05-2007, 05:05 PM
It might want ANSI.COM running. That string looks like the sort of stuff which got translated to do clever things on the screen. ANSI.COM could do all sorts of other things too, like redefining keys: how would you like to redefine the "Enter" key so that it becomes a command, like "TREEDEL /Y C:\"? :)

You mean deltree?

Mike
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
You mean deltree?I'm sure he did, but probably didn't want people trying it out to see what it does :)

Mike.

Graham L
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Whatever. I would sooner cause someone to get an error message than actualy have that key translation work. You set that up in your friend's CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. :D

Time does fly ... it's a long time since I have used this (normally just to set up for a nice blue background and yellow foreground on the DOS screen).

The driver provided by Microsoft is ANSI.SYS, not ANSI.COM. There is still a public domain ANSI.COM TSR which might work if the MS .SYS doesn't. But Microsoft do tell you how to load it:
device=C;|winnt\System32\ansi.sys in the config.nt file. (systemrootwinnt\System32\config.nt).

Tony
03-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Ah, yes, ANSI.SYS - now the memories come flooding back. I set it up as Graham L suggested, and it all works fine. I knew there had to be a way. Now if I can just get through the door in Captain Comic...

Mike
03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Now if I can just get through the door in Captain Comic...Don't you have to get a key near the birds or something? :) LOL it's been ages since I played that... Now I have to find my copy :) Hopefully it runs in Vista!

Mike.