PDA

View Full Version : Canon scanner buttons (default actions)

SpiderVenom
02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I have a cheapo Canon LiDE 70 scanner, with a somewhat bizarre problem. At the moment, if I press one of the four assignable buttons on the front, Windows XP presents me with a choice of programs to open; namely, CanoScan Toolbox or Photoshop. I choose CanoScan Toolbox, click OK, and it opens and operates fine.

Now, if I set CanoScan toolbox to be the default program to open... doesn't work. Pressing the button does nothing. Switching back to the prompt action in the scanner properties makes it work fine again.

I know it's only one extra click for the OK button when the list of programs appear, but it's still annoying... and not a little weird.

mejobloggs
02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Does the same thing happen with any button you press, or only one of the four? What is the name of that button?

One of the things I would try is going here: http://www.canon.co.nz/products/scanners/scanners_low_medium_volume/canoscanlide70_support.aspx

And downloading the correct version of CanoScan Toolbox, so you can reinstall the toolbox. This may perhaps default itself to the button on your scanner.

Plus search around a bit on google if you havn't already.

SpiderVenom
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
All four buttons exhibit the fault.

Google hasn't been much help, although trying to find elegant search keywords for this has stumped me a little.

I've definitely got the correct version of CanoScan Toolbox - I original had the Vista one installed, and the buttons wouldn't work whatsoever :P

It seems very bizarre - they work fine as long as I keep using the program selection dialog... and as soon as I choose a program to make it the default, bam. Actually, when I get a chance to get back on the PC and use the scanner, I'll see if choosing Photoshop does the same thing.

SpiderVenom
03-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Well, I gave it a try. Regardless of which program I choose to open with the scanner button, it doesn't work. I have to use the prompt option and choose a program that way for it to operate.

Surely this has to be a bug of some sort?