PDA

View Full Version : Word Docs. Constant Phrases.

Poppa John
29-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi All.
In my book writing I use the same phrases, or collection of words, descriptive passages, often.
For example 'Sally & Sylvia'. Is there a way that I can type in 'S&S', hit another key & have 'Sally & Sylvia' appear instead? PJ

coldot
29-04-2007, 05:48 PM
May depend a little on which version of Word, but in mine - select menu TOOLS, AUTOCORRECT and add "SSS" in the left column and "Sally & Sylvia" in the right column, then click ADD.
Make sure "replace as you type" is ticked.
Then whenever you type SSS it will magically change to Sally & Sylvia as soon as you type the next space or whatever..
(Note I change your S&S to SSS - easier to key in)

Poppa John
29-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Coldot.........Thanks I will try that. I am using the Word in Office Prof 2003. PJ

Poppa John
29-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Yep...That works, brilliant, Thankyou. PJ

coldot
29-04-2007, 09:49 PM
You're reet welcome! It were reet gradely ter see as you cum from Yorkshire. Ah'm fra' Lancashire, not too far off - Brierfield between Nelson and Burnley, and me grandma's lot cum fra' Swaledale. Ah cum ere when ah wer nobbut a lad of 8.

Poppa John
30-04-2007, 11:37 AM
You're reet welcome! It were reet gradely ter see as you cum from Yorkshire. Ah'm fra' Lancashire, not too far off - Brierfield between Nelson and Burnley, and me grandma's lot cum fra' Swaledale. Ah cum ere when ah wer nobbut a lad of 8.

Eeh Lad Ah luv t'accent.

Another q.. In the 'change to' box, it will only take so many letters. Is there a way to extend this.? PJ

I say to my Missus...."Eeh Lass tha looks reight gradely" She replies, 'Shuroop ya daft booger'. We have to laugh.

coldot
30-04-2007, 10:09 PM
(In my Word 97) I couldn't find the limit in the "change to" box - looks like it's almost infinite. I got to over 50 characters before I gave up. (I lost count of how many times I counted my fingers.) Did you strike a limit then?
If there is a limit (e.g. 50 chars?) then I guess you could use change from "sss1" then "sss2" then "sss3" to get 150 characters. But if you need more then maybe "insert file" would be more appropriate: have a number of prepared files and insert file "sss.doc" etc.
Me grandma used to say something sounds like "eeh thaat a do a flump" which when you listen carefully translates to "you're a dough lump" - meaning "thaat a daft ha'porth".
Cheers!

Poppa John
01-05-2007, 05:34 AM
Coldot.........Yeah.....I am missing it badly at the moment. Pathetic innit? PJ :waughh:

PS.Will look again, Thanks. PJ